Thread: Web maintenance

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    Honest! I had the web-guy in yesterday afternoon and a tiny (2mm) orange spider started to spin a web between my desk lamp and the monitor.
    I'd like to take a good snapshot of the guy and his web, kind of impress my web guy with "spud"s speed-of-production, but can't think what to do to make the web itself show up in a photo.

Any clues?
    Fine mist of water?

I don't want to do anything that'd hurt the little codger; he is the same color as Jupiter.
    Attached Images Attached Images

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Cheers

Steve

Asking the questions everbody wants the answers too but feels too stupid to ask themselves :-)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='chrisgreaves' post='778102' date='02-Jun-2009 21:26']Honest! I had the web-guy in yesterday afternoon and a tiny (2mm) orange spider started to spin a web between my desk lamp and the monitor.
    I'd like to take a good snapshot of the guy and his web, kind of impress my web guy with "spud"s speed-of-production, but can't think what to do to make the web itself show up in a photo.

Any clues?
    Fine mist of water?

I don't want to do anything that'd hurt the little codger; he is the same color as Jupiter.[/quote]

Hi Chris, When I was a Scout Leader we taught the boys how to use either talc or baby powder to make spider webs show up. You could dust the web with one of these and then put some dark background behind for the photo.
    <font face="Comic Sans MS">MickeyMouse</font face=comic>
    How best to describe the Lounge-
    "Coming together is a beginning, staying together is progress, working together is success"

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='stevehocking' post='778121' date='03-Jun-2009 04:01']Anything here help?[/quote]
    Thanks Steve and Mickey.
    I feel terrible.
    I left the light on overnight, and when I woke this morning the web was nearly gone, and he is shriveled up.
    I suspect he had so little brain that he didn't think about the effect of a 40W incandescent globe on his (presumably) water-based structure and self.
    Next time .....

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='MickeyMouse' post='778156' date='03-Jun-2009 09:31']... use either talc or baby powder ...[/quote]

Thanks Mickey and Steve.
    I thought of some sort of fine dust e.g. self-raising flour, talc, but had an idea that talc is something one puts down to discourage ants and/or woodlice/cockroaches or similar.
    I was afraid that a fine manufactured dust might be abrasive to a wee beastie.
    While he was still alive.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='MickeyMouse' post='778156' date='03-Jun-2009 09:31']use either talc or baby powder[/quote]

He's back! He's alive!!
    He crawled around the rim of the lamp, which I have now turned off for the day and has begun to drop a suspension cable to my keyboard.
    I might have to quit work and watch "Apocalypse Now" until he's done.
    Once his web is intact, I'll try puffing talc into the web.
    God knows what it will do to my LCD monitor .....
    ... or to his web if I inhale and sneeze.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 3.JPG (13.1 KB, 0 views)

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='chrisgreaves' post='778181' date='03-Jun-2009 10:55']Once his web is intact, I'll try puffing talc into the web.
    God knows what it will do ........ to his web if I inhale and sneeze.[/quote]
    ...Or to your lungs if you sneeze and then inhale his web covered in talc.......

"Peace begins with a smile. "-- Mother Teresa

Thanks
    [quote name='chrisgreaves' post='778181' date='03-Jun-2009 15:55']He's back! He's alive!![/quote]
    ....or his brother/sister/mother/father etc is.

There are some tips here, albeit more aimed out outside photography. My instinct would be not to try and coat the web with anything artificial (arachni-humanitarian and realism grounds) but to try and achieve a result using suitable lighting and background - and getting it in focus!

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='skitterbug' post='778303' date='03-Jun-2009 22:52']...Or to your lungs if you sneeze and then inhale his web covered in talc....... [/quote]
    Well, I can't speak for all loungers, but browsing a lot, as i do, I never have inhaled the web.
    (or were you referring to my frequent use of italics?
    (And that involved more "i"s than I care to repeat!

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='Leif' post='778314' date='04-Jun-2009 03:51']... (arachni-humanitarian and realism grounds) but to try and achieve a result using suitable lighting and background - and getting it in focus! [/quote]
    Well, thanks, Leif. I had not previously considered myself to be an arachni-humanitarian, but it's something to consider putting on one's business card, I suppose.
    Getting it in focus is the tricky part. My $cdn 89.99 digital camera has auto-focus, with the little tulip thing for close ups, and a zoom lens rocker, but I'm unaware of any focus-setting adjustment.
    The auto-focus spots the spider, then moves on to more interesting targets like the rim of the lamp, or the smudge marks on the wall where the lamp-bracket has rubbed in days of yore.

Thanks
    [quote name='chrisgreaves' post='778334' date='04-Jun-2009 12:55']The auto-focus spots the spider, then moves on to more interesting targets like the rim of the lamp, or the smudge marks on the wall where the lamp-bracket has rubbed in days of yore.[/quote]
    If your camera is anything like the ones I have used, the big 'Take A Picture Now' button has two levels. The first sets up all the auto-focus and auto-exposure stuff, the second triggers the image capture. By gently pressing the button to its first level, the auto-bits are set and locked. Point the camera to a nice solid object at the correct distance, lock the focus and exposure, then point towards Boris and CLICK.

You may need to experiment with different 'nice solid objects' to get the exposure right, but you can use this technique to fool the camera into getting the exposure you want, not what the camera thinks you want. (It also allows you to taker 'faster' pictures as part of the delay between pressing the button and actually taking the picture is taken by setting the focus and exposure.)

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='Leif' post='778340' date='04-Jun-2009 09:07']... auto-bits are set and locked.[/quote]
    Thanks, Leif; I'll give this a try next time Boris (?) starts work.