Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    From a hardware thread by Stans ( Post 777898 ) I switch to what I think is a software question, either Windows/MS or the individual apps.

My Canon 8400F works perfectly and I mostly use it with Paint Shop Pro or Gimp. During the course of the above thread, I happened to look in my local copy of both Paint and Paint.Net and neither one recognizes that I have a scanner. Anyone know what to do to correct that problem?

[attachment=84081:2009_06_03_053651.png]
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks
    [quote name='Bigaldoc' post='778136' date='03-Jun-2009 10:43']From a hardware thread by Stans ( Post 777898 ) I switch to what I think is a software question, either Windows/MS or the individual apps.

My Canon 8400F works perfectly and I mostly use it with Paint Shop Pro or Gimp. During the course of the above thread, I happened to look in my local copy of both Paint and Paint.Net and neither one recognizes that I have a scanner. Anyone know what to do to correct that problem?[/quote]
    Try this thread in the PaintDotNet Forum and MSKB 293614: The "Get from Scanner or Camera" Option Is Unavailable in Microsoft Paint.

To summarise:
    This problem may occur if the scanner or camera does not support Windows Image Acquisition (WIA). The Get from Scanner or Camera option is a WIA feature.
    RESOLUTION: To resolve this problem, contact the manufacturer for the availability of a WIA driver for the device.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='Leif' post='778146' date='03-Jun-2009 07:32']... <snip> This problem may occur if the scanner or camera does not support Windows Image Acquisition (WIA). <snip> ...[/quote]
    Thanks Leif! I also found this among a bunch of other stuff on a forum site:
    The Canon Scanner WIA Driver and ScanGear CS (TWAIN driver) cannot be
    present (installed) on the same system for the same scanner at the same time.

Go to Canon and find their "Driver Removal" utility. Run that, reboot,
    and then install only the WIA drivers.
    I guess I'd better start looking a little harder at the Canon site. I don't want to eliminate Twain if PSP and Gimp will have a problem with WIA.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    I was never aware of this WIA thing, so evidently when I setup Vista 32 a year ago, I installed my Canon scanner under Twain. I had no idea that Paint or Paint.Net didn't work (and they don't) because of that. I guess I'll leave well enough alone for now.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='Bigaldoc' post='778154' date='03-Jun-2009 13:18']I had no idea that Paint or Paint.Net didn't work [without WIA][/quote]

I usually scan into irfanview from where I can save in a variety of formats, fine tune, resize etc and (if I need to) copy/paste into Paint. So, like you, I didn't realise that there was a problem.
    John (Unreconstructed Jacobite)