New Lounger
    Thanks
    Some weeks ago, I allowed Windows to run an automatic update. At the time, the update failed and I was able to re-run it. However, I now get a message every time I boot my laptop, that the computer needs to be shut down and restarted to complete the installation. I have no updates to install and I can't get rid of this message.

Any ideas?

Many thanks,

Ian

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I should have said that I'm using Windows XP Professional, SP3

Thanks
    [quote name='isinclair' post='778150' date='03-Jun-2009 08:00']Some weeks ago, I allowed Windows to run an automatic update. At the time, the update failed and I was able to re-run it. However, I now get a message every time I boot my laptop, that the computer needs to be shut down and restarted to complete the installation. I have no updates to install and I can't get rid of this message.

Any ideas?

Many thanks,

Ian[/quote]
    Try going to Control Panel>Add/Remove>check the box on show updates and look for the update in question.
    Remove it.
    Reboot and let it reinstall anew.
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, Bob.

I've gone into the Add/Remove Programs and there are loads of updates shown there. Is there a way of identifying which update is the problem? The error message doesn't give any clue.

Regards,

Ian

Thanks
    [quote name='isinclair' post='778268' date='03-Jun-2009 18:20']Thanks, Bob.

I've gone into the Add/Remove Programs and there are loads of updates shown there. Is there a way of identifying which update is the problem? The error message doesn't give any clue.

Regards,

Ian[/quote]
    Well, you could go back to the MS windows update site and click on "Review Your Update History".
    It should give you a list of updates that have either succeeded, failed or were canceled. That may give you a clue.

If not, the hard way is to go back to Add/Remove, make sure "show Updates" is ticked and try to note which ones were recently installed back to the time you started to have the problem. Then start UNinstalling them one by one, till you get the troublemaker. Then reinstall the others. Hopefully, there won't be too many!
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

Thanks
    [quote name='isinclair' post='778150' date='03-Jun-2009 13:00'][/quote]
    It might be worth you looking at Microsoft's How to resolve Common "Windows Installer" Problems...
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...