Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    I post this FYI; I suspect strongly that the problem lies in my workbook(s), but that I've stumbled across a flaw in Excel's recovery.
    I can duplicate this problem in both Excel 2000 & Excel 2003.

Symptoms: I double-click on a workbook created & heavily updated in Excel 2000 (9.0.2720) and most times the application workbook loads and is ready for running/modication. Sometimes (about once per day) I get the frustrating message.
    Over the past couple of weeks I've tried repeatedly (in head-rattling sequence):
    (1) Running Rob Bovey's CodeCleaner, both the XLA version and the DLL/EXE version
    (2) Loading in Excel 2003 (11.5612.5606) and receiving the same message, indicating that the trigger lies in my workbook.
    (3) Rebooting
    (4) Reinstalling Office 2000 from scratch (remove with Revo Unisnstaller then re-install)
    (5) Reinstalling Office 2003 from scratch (remove with Revo Unisnstaller then re-install)
    (6) Gnashing my teeth
    (7) All of the above in a variety of sequences.

This all costs me about 45 minutes each day, on average; an unacceptable cost.

The application workbook makes use of an XLA library of my own devices, which on Workbook Open :
    Code:
    '''' > 2009/06/03 maybe this is causing the problrem
    Private Sub Workbook_Open()
    	Call UX.CheckVersion(ThisWorkbook)
    End Sub
    '''' < 2009/06/03 maybe this is causing the problrem
    Supressing excution of this (Holding down the Shift key during File, Open) seems to inhibit the trigger.

The library.xla code for CheckVersion (attached) is designed to update a .CustomDocumentProperties, and has been running in both Word 2000 and Excel 2000 for at least seven years.

I am about to recompile the XLA, having placed a STOP instruction as the first executable line of CheckVersion (let's single-step!) without apparently reaching the STOP instruction, so perhaps the library.xla is very corrupt.

But if that's the case why does the application workbook function properly 23 hours of the day.

I'll post here when/if I track down the animicule .....
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 1.JPG (25.8 KB, 0 views)
    Attached Files Attached Files

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    I'd suggest roundtripping both the workbook and the xla through HTML (use Excel 2003 for that).
    Doing so sometimes gets rid of hidden file corruptions.

Why are you calling the checkversion from the workbook_open event, rather than having an application event handler class inside the xla? I suspect not having the workbook's own open event calling the addin might simplify things?
    Jan Karel Pieterse
    Microsoft Excel MVP, WMVP
    www.jkp-ads.com
    Professional Office Developers Association

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='chrisgreaves' post='778174' date='03-Jun-2009 10:33'][/quote]
    Chris
    Just a thought:
    Does the problem occur exclusively while opening the file from within Excel; or launching Excel by opening the file?
    Regards
    Don

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='pieterse' post='778392' date='04-Jun-2009 15:39']Why are you calling the checkversion from the workbook_open event,[/quote]
    Thanks Jan Karel.
    I suspect because I still do all my work in '2000, it being the lowest common denominator amongst my clients.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='wdwells' post='778621' date='06-Jun-2009 12:51']Does the problem occur exclusively while opening the file from within Excel; or launching Excel by opening the file?[/quote]
    Thanks, Don.

Both.
    What bugs me is that it does not occur with regularity. If I open the current application ten times a day, it might fail just once out of that ten.
    And as far as I can recall, not necessarily the first open-of-the-day (thus, not especially triggered by a fresh daily boot, or similar weird event).

Although recently, the failed Open has been the last Open of the day (out of sheer frustration!)

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='chrisgreaves' post='778628' date='06-Jun-2009 17:42']Thanks Jan Karel.
    I suspect because I still do all my work in '2000, it being the lowest common denominator amongst my clients.[/quote]
    Which is not a very good reason, as you can have application events in Excel as from Excel 97.
    Jan Karel Pieterse
    www.jkp-ads.com

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='chrisgreaves' post='778629' date='06-Jun-2009 12:45']Both.
    What bugs me is that it does not occur with regularity. If I open the current application ten times a day, it might fail just once out of that ten.[/quote]
    Have you tried introducing a delay at the beginning of the event triggered code?
    Regards
    Don

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='pieterse' post='778637' date='06-Jun-2009 14:57']Which is not a very good reason, as you can have application events in Excel as from Excel 97.[/quote]
    (searches for head-spinning smiley ...)
    I'm confused myself.
    I started using CheckVersion back in '97 and used it for Word projects since then.
    I started using it in Excel projects about five years ago.
    I've not really "got" into Class objects, so I guess original reason was that "it worked this way", and I knew little enough to change it.
    I suspect the bottom line is going to be some sort of corruption in the workbook, because all other application workbooks function happily, using the same library function.

I'm not sure why export/import via HTML would be any better than through the bas format. I've done the code-cleaner several times since the problem first reared its ugly head.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='wdwells' post='778642' date='06-Jun-2009 16:44']Have you tried introducing a delay at the beginning of the event triggered code?[/quote]
    Thanks, Don, but no, I haven't.
    I'll give that a try.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='chrisgreaves' post='779008' date='09-Jun-2009 14:17'](searches for head-spinning smiley ...)[/quote]

[attachment=84202:rofl.gif]
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Regards
    Don

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    The HTML route clears trouble in the Excel file itself rather than the VBA.

Chip pearson has a good intro on Application events here:
    http://www.cpearson.com/Excel/AppEvent.aspx
    Jan Karel Pieterse
    www.jkp-ads.com