Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    After a series of "spontaneous" continual reboots, I tried Safe Mode then rebooted OK. I encountered a "recovery from serious system problem" error. Details are:
    BCCode : 7a BCP1 : C03DCEAC BCP2 : C000000E BCP3 : F73AB9AD
    BCP4 : 0FF05880 OSVer : 5_1_2600 SP : 3_0 Product : 256_1

I sent off the error report and this Microsoft Windows Error Reporting page appeared. I don't seem to be having further problems, except that when I gave Safe Mode a whirl, the driver loading paused with the message:

Press cancel to skip loading STPD.SYS

or similar. I don't believe that file is on my system. There are various problems relating to continual reboot and that file, but they refer to quite an old MS patch. Any ideas on how to diagnose?

Alan

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The interweb says that STPD.SYS is part of daemon tools. It might be worth while uninstalling and reinstalling if you have that.

Alternatively, my wife's laptop had a problem where Kaspersky AV "fixed" and "infected" system file which in turn led to a BSOD-reboot cycle. Solution was to boot with an Ubuntu-live USB key and find and replace the "fixed" file. You could try and find the offending file like this and rename it out of the way.

But YMMV.
    John (Unreconstructed Jacobite)

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='jonWallace' post='778239' date='04-Jun-2009 05:46']The interweb says that STPD.SYS is part of daemon tools. It might be worth while uninstalling and reinstalling if you have that.[/quote]
    I saw that reference to Daemon too, but don't have it installed. I ended up cleaning the registry and that rogue entry seems to have disappeared and boot has returned to normal.

All hail the registry cleaner!

Alan

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='AlanMiller' post='778358' date='04-Jun-2009 10:16']... All hail the registry cleaner![/quote]
    Which one?

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='Bigaldoc' post='778365' date='05-Jun-2009 00:48']Which one? [/quote]
    Sorry for the late reply. I happened to use my version of Registry Mechanic, but I was paying homage to the humble registry cleaner in general. I'd imagine most/any that pick up registry errors would have fixed the problem. I hear often that reg cleaners no longer have any relevance (much like defraggers) so thought I'd give them a plug!

Alan