Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    I have MS Office 2002 on my laptop, and a new disc with MS Office 2003. I want to upgrade, but I'm never good with these technical things and always end up in a mess.

Do I need to uninstall and reinstall? or just reinstall over the top?

If an uninstall is required, how is the best way?

Do I need to prepare, save backup anything?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    I'd make a backup in any case.

If you want to keep your settings as much as possible, do an upgrade, i.e. don't uninstall Office XP first. The Office 2003 installer will see that Office XP is installed and offer to remove it, while migrating your settings.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Is the 2003 version a upgrade, if so then you will need to leave 2002 installed?

I have found that if I untinstall the old one first things go better, but on some installs it has asked if the old version can be removed.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Okay, I did an upgrade and mostly all went well. However, I am having problems with Outlook, unable to get a connection to my AOL account, even though all the settings were moved accross. I was having Outlook issues in the 2002 world (posted here previously). So:

Can I do a complete uninstall and reinstall of Outlook only? Remove programs only shows Office as a whole. I'm happy to start from scratch.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Instead of Remove, select the Change option, then Add or Remove Features. You can then clear the check box for Outlook to remove it.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Hans, I'm going round in circles a little here. I know very little about pst. files etc, and am having difficulties configuring outlook.

I have set up my AOL email account and linked the profile but I am seeing the folders twice in the tree. What am I doing wrong?

[attachment=84107:aol4.GIF]
    Attached Images Attached Images

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    See [topic="762826"]Duplicate Folders[/topic] and [topic="751395"]Duplicate Personal Folders[/topic].

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Following a complete outlook uninstall and reinstall (again), I have deleted and recreated my profile (again) Every time, I end up with a new pst being created and a duplicate data file showing, neither of which can be deleted. I just want to see one set of folders, I have read loads on this issue, but cannot seem to get it sorted

1. Quit all instances of Outlook.
    Start the Mail control panel.
    Click Data Files...
    Do you see duplicates here? If so, remove them.
    I do see 2, both shown here, neither of which I am able to delete

2. If that doesn't help:
    Quit all instances of Outlook.
    Start the Mail control panel.
    Click Show Profiles...
    Click Add... to create a new e-mail profile.
    Specify the new profile as the one to be used when Outlook starts.
    Done all that, but always end up with duplicates.

[attachment=84117:aol2.GIF]
    [attachment=84118:aolx1.GIF]
    [attachment=84119:aolx2.GIF]
    Attached Images Attached Images

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    If you still have the information needed to set up your e-mail accounts (i.e. the usernames and passwords, and the names of the servers for incoming and outgoing mail), it might be a good idea to throw away ALL existing accounts and profiles, then start anew.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='HansV' post='778394' date='04-Jun-2009 19:46']If you still have the information needed to set up your e-mail accounts (i.e. the usernames and passwords, and the names of the servers for incoming and outgoing mail), it might be a good idea to throw away ALL existing accounts and profiles, then start anew.[/quote]

Hans, I have deleted and recreated that many times, I could complete the process with my eyes closed!!

I am only trying to set up one mail account, so I assume that there should only be one pst? If that is the case, then I need to link to that pst, without the profile creating an additional one? I must be missing something really really stoooooopid!!

I have been deleting the profiles, before creating new ones.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='HansV' post='778394' date='04-Jun-2009 19:46']If you still have the information needed to set up your e-mail accounts (i.e. the usernames and passwords, and the names of the servers for incoming and outgoing mail), it might be a good idea to throw away ALL existing accounts and profiles, then start anew.[/quote]

Are you suggesting creating a completely new email account / address??

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Did you try following the steps in Post 751424, it worked for me when I had this problem.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Not a new e-mail address! You can keep the e-mail address(es) that you have now.

You use an e-mail account to send and receive e-mail for a specific e-mail address. You have to specify the password, the server for incoming mail etc.
    Deleting an e-mail account does *not* delete the e-mail address, merely the information Outlook uses to connect to the provider.
    You can create a new account for the existing e-mail address.

An e-mail profile can use one or more e-mail accounts (e.g. if you have an AOL e-mail address and a GMail address, you could create an account for each and add both to your profile.)

Thanks
    [quote name='VegasNath' post='778397' date='04-Jun-2009 15:06']Are you suggesting creating a completely new email account / address??[/quote]
    Have a look at Post 82411
    John
    A Child's Mind, Once Stretched by Imagination...
    Never Regains Its Original Dimensions

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks folks, my eyes have gone square, and am about to lose the plot, so I am gonna give it up for now. I'll no doubht be back soo n...