Thread: Form

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Arrow

Hi

Is it possible to create a form like the attached in Access. I have created the form in MS Word but my manager wants me to create it in Access. I have imported names from Excel to Access and create a form using wizard. How does one create the bottom part where there are pictures and tick box.

Regards
    Sharon
    Attached Files Attached Files

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    [quote name='svokozela' post='778332' date='04-Jun-2009 05:48']...
    Is it possible to create a form like the attached in Access. I have created the form in MS Word but my manager wants me to create it in Access. I have imported names from Excel to Access and create a form using wizard.....[/quote]Hi Sharon, and welcome to Woody's Lounge.
    It is possible to create a form in Access that looks something like your MS Word one, but the real question is how you would use the form if you did. Forms in Access are meant to be used to capture data and store it in one or more data records in tables. Now if you have a nice large network with hundreds or thousands of people, and you want to capture information about their technology tools and record that information in a database, then such a form might make sense. However if you want the person to sign the form, then it needs to be a piece of paper, and a Word "form" works as well or better than an Access form or report. But in either case if you are going to record the information in a database, then the most important part of that is designing the tables that are going to make up your database schema. And doing that raises some interesting questions such as "how do you record the fact that a few persons may have two workstations, or two mobile phones, or two printers?"

... How does one create the bottom part where there are pictures and tick box.
    On that specific question, I would probably use a tab control, with a tab for Laptops and Desktops, another tab for Printers and a third tab for Mobiles. You can use a label for the descriptions of the equipment, and an image control to display the photo, and a check box data control with the data source as a binary value field for each of the options. If you truly want to restrict them to only one choice, you might instead use an option group (radio) control which only allows the use to choose one option. Hope this helps!
    Wendell

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Wendy

We are doing this for our record. We will print(MS Word) this for Employees to fill in and we will then capture the information in Access. They are going to get one each and they are forced to tick one option.

Thanks so much for your help, will try your suggestion and will let you know if I get a problem.

[quote name='WendellB' post='778345' date='04-Jun-2009 13:25']Hi Sharon, and welcome to Woody's Lounge.
    It is possible to create a form in Access that looks something like your MS Word one, but the real question is how you would use the form if you did. Forms in Access are meant to be used to capture data and store it in one or more data records in tables. Now if you have a nice large network with hundreds or thousands of people, and you want to capture information about their technology tools and record that information in a database, then such a form might make sense. However if you want the person to sign the form, then it needs to be a piece of paper, and a Word "form" works as well or better than an Access form or report. But in either case if you are going to record the information in a database, then the most important part of that is designing the tables that are going to make up your database schema. And doing that raises some interesting questions such as "how do you record the fact that a few persons may have two workstations, or two mobile phones, or two printers?"

On that specific question, I would probably use a tab control, with a tab for Laptops and Desktops, another tab for Printers and a third tab for Mobiles. You can use a label for the descriptions of the equipment, and an image control to display the photo, and a check box data control with the data source as a binary value field for each of the options. If you truly want to restrict them to only one choice, you might instead use an option group (radio) control which only allows the use to choose one option. Hope this helps![/quote]

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I think the Word document makes the most sense. As to table structure, I would have a people table, and then a table for equipment, so a person could have a laptop and a desktop, and one might not have a printer. That also is flexible enough that if you want to add a new equipment type, say scanners for example, you could just define a new type and use the same form. Let us know how you get on with your project.
    Wendell