Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi,

I have a template with multiple sections. In the footer of each, a report title will need to be inserted. Since there are different sections, this has to be done for each individual footer.

But as the report title is always the same, I was wondering if there is a way I can just type the report title once and it will fill all the footers? I am not a programmer so am hoping for a solution that doesn't involve programming. (However, this doesn't sound like a particularly complex program so I could learn if that is the only option.)

Many thanks,
    Sam

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    When you activate a footer, the Header and Footer toolbar will be displayed.
    One of the buttons on this toolbar is "Same as previous". If this button is "on" (depressed), the header or footer of the current section will be the same as that in the previous section.
    So if you want the same report title in the footers of all sections, you only need to enter the text in the first section footer, and make sure that "Same as previous" is set for the footers of all subsequent sections.

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks
    [quote name='Sam577' post='778349' date='04-Jun-2009 23:13']Hi,

I have a template with multiple sections. In the footer of each, a report title will need to be inserted. Since there are different sections, this has to be done for each individual footer.

But as the report title is always the same, I was wondering if there is a way I can just type the report title once and it will fill all the footers? I am not a programmer so am hoping for a solution that doesn't involve programming. (However, this doesn't sound like a particularly complex program so I could learn if that is the only option.)

Many thanks,
    Sam[/quote]
    Hi Sam,

If the title appears in the body of the first page of each Section, you can use a single STYLEREF field in the footer to replicate the titles there. To do this:
    . assign a specific Style to the titles, that you don't use for anything else (Eg Heading 1 or a new Style named 'Title')
    . go to the footer and use Insert|Field to insert a STYLEREF field, adding your title's Style as the reference.
    That's all there is to it.
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Lounger
    Thanks
    That's brilliant. Because I have landscape pages within the template (which include a horizontal stripe that is longer than portrait pages), the Same as Previous option won't work (sorry, didn't explain myself very well).

Thanks very much.

[quote name='macropod' post='778428' date='04-Jun-2009 18:54']Hi Sam,

If the title appears in the body of the first page of each Section, you can use a single STYLEREF field in the footer to replicate the titles there. To do this:
    . assign a specific Style to the titles, that you don't use for anything else (Eg Heading 1 or a new Style named 'Title')
    . go to the footer and use Insert|Field to insert a STYLEREF field, adding your title's Style as the reference.
    That's all there is to it.[/quote]

Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi,

I have followed the instructions to insert a style ref (using a style called "Report title", which is only used once in the report) in the footers. However, it doesn't seem to work with the error message: "Error! No text of specified style in document", even though I typed a test title on the front page in the correct style (document attached).

Does anybody know what the problem might be?

Many thanks,
    Sam

[quote name='macropod' post='778428' date='04-Jun-2009 18:54']Hi Sam,

That's all there is to it.[/quote]
    Attached Files Attached Files

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Your problem is that the text formatted as "Report title" is in a text box. If you go to Format > Text Box you can select the Text Box tab and click the button marked "Convert to Frame". It will then allow you to update the styleref field correctly.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Great, that's worked.

Tvm, Sam

[quote name='StuartR' post='778469' date='05-Jun-2009 08:13']Your problem is that the text formatted as "Report title" is in a text box. If you go to Format > Text Box you can select the Text Box tab and click the button marked "Convert to Frame". It will then allow you to update the styleref field correctly.[/quote]

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Sam,

Just looked at your sample file - there's no need to put the footer content into textboxes either, as you have them. It's more straightforward to just put the footer content directly in the footer, without the textboxes.

Gary