Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Thumbs up

I frequent several other forums which like this one use this forum software. But I cannot figure out what the purpose is of the "Quote" button that sits adjacent to the "Reply" button. If you click it, it turns read with a "-" sign, which I have always assumed meant that the quote feature was turned off. However, it doesn't appear to affect the quote feature since whether it is in normal mode or the other mode after being clicked and then clicking "Reply" the original post is quoted in full.

So, can someone please explain what this "Quote" button is for?

Thanks!
    Jeff
    simul iustus et peccator

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    You can quote multiple posts within your reply. When you click +Quote in a post, you turn quoting of that post "on". If you then click -Quote, you turn it off again.
    So if you click +Quote in the first, third and sixth post in a topic, then click the big "ADD REPLY" button at the bottom of the topic, the first, third and sixth posts will be quoted in your reply.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Pilgrim' post='778360 View Post
    You can quote multiple posts within your reply. When you click +Quote in a post, you turn quoting of that post "on". If you then click -Quote, you turn it off again.
    So if you click +Quote in the first, third and sixth post in a topic, then click the big "ADD REPLY" button at the bottom of the topic, the first, third and sixth posts will be quoted in your reply.
    Looks like this, so you can see an example.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='Bigaldoc' post='778366' date='04-Jun-2009 14:53']Looks like this, so you can see an example.[/quote]OK - but how can you turn off the quote? Besides scrolling down to the bottom and using the 'Add Reply' button?

It may be just me, but I find the quoting to be a little much - particularly when most threads are just a few posts long.

Thanks
    [quote name='Bowlie' post='778520' date='05-Jun-2009 15:58']OK - but how can you turn off the quote? Besides scrolling down to the bottom and using the 'Add Reply' button?[/quote]
    I don't think there is any other way to do this. If you "Reply", the quote is automatically invoked. Of course you can always highlight and erase the quote, but that's a PITA for every post.
    John
    A Child's Mind, Once Stretched by Imagination...
    Never Regains Its Original Dimensions

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    If you're talking about a setting to disable any and ALL quoting, I don't know of one. The fastest thing I can recommend is that when you start to make a post, hit Ctrl-A and then delete as I did in this one.

You did say in short threads, but keep in mind that in threads of even only a handful of posts it can be sometimes difficult to determine to whom you're "speaking" without some part of the quote left in the post.