New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello,

I am using Word 2007 and have had trouble when opening these documents in 97-2003. Now my formatting is all wrong and the file size has gone from 660kb to over 17MB!!!

Can anyone offer any suggestions?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='Matski' post='778375' date='04-Jun-2009 17:59']I am using Word 2007 and have had trouble when opening these documents in 97-2003. Now my formatting is all wrong and the file size has gone from 660kb to over 17MB!!!

Can anyone offer any suggestions?[/quote]
    There are lots of people here who would like to help you, but you will need to give us a bit more to go on.
    • What were the exact steps that made your document grow from 660Kbytes to 17MBytes?
    • How complex is the document, in terms of numbers of pictures, links, fields or other things that are not just formatted text?
    • Do you have the latest patches from Microsoft Update installed on the systems that have been editing the documents?
    Please tell us everything you can about your problem and we will try to help.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Stuart,

The documents were created in 2007 and opened on a machine using 97-2003.

The originals were landscape format and contain set formats (boxes for text entries) and a few pictures. Upon opening in the older version, it appears the formatting has been mucked up and I;d ideally like to recover the original format so I can then save as 97-03 so I dont get this issue.

I need to open it in 97 as the machine I need to print from only has that version.

Is this more helpful?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='Matski' post='778380' date='04-Jun-2009 18:17']The documents were created in 2007 and opened on a machine using 97-2003.
    I need to open it in 97 as the machine I need to print from only has that version.[/quote]
    Gosh, Word 97 is very old now. Do you really have a PC running that version?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    It could quite possibly be 2000 and not 97.

It is a machine based at the primary school my g/f works at (she's a teacher) and they are her kids reports so she's stressing. No idea if they have run updates on those machine but I'd be surprised if they had. At any rate the 2007 files have been opened and saved on the 97/2000 version.

The originals were saved in 2007 format.

I have a bad feeling they can't be "put back" into 2007 formating. The files now have defaulted into portrait and have he same content as the originals so I have no idea how they got to 17MB.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='Matski' post='778382' date='04-Jun-2009 18:34']It could quite possibly be 2000 and not 97.

It is a machine based at the primary school my g/f works at (she's a teacher) and they are her kids reports so she's stressing. No idea if they have run updates on those machine but I'd be surprised if they had. At any rate the 2007 files have been opened and saved on the 97/2000 version.

The originals were saved in 2007 format.

I have a bad feeling they can't be "put back" into 2007 formating. The files now have defaulted into portrait and have he same content as the originals so I have no idea how they got to 17MB.[/quote]
    Eeek! Do you still have the originals?

You could try copying the content from the very big files to new empty files a few paragraphs at a time to see if you can transfer all the important data without creating a monstrous file.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I think she'll have to cut and paste the text content from the ###### files back into the empty template and start over again. I've told her to make sure she saves as 97-2003 so this doesn't happen again. Not a popular route....

I tried searching the temp files from last night but wasn't sure how to recover them from the home pc's temp memory?

Any pointers?

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    [quote name='Matski' post='778380' date='04-Jun-2009 13:17']Hi Stuart,

The documents were created in 2007 and opened on a machine using 97-2003.

The originals were landscape format and contain set formats (boxes for text entries) and a few pictures. Upon opening in the older version, it appears the formatting has been mucked up and I;d ideally like to recover the original format so I can then save as 97-03 so I dont get this issue.

I need to open it in 97 as the machine I need to print from only has that version.

Is this more helpful?[/quote]
    This could be a printer driver problem. Make sure the drivers are up to date. Or if you can, add that driver to the computer with W2007 and use it to format the document.

It could also be that you formatted the document in docx (native 2007) format, which, when converted to 97-2003 loses some formatting. The big tips here are to always work in compatibility mode if your files are going back to earlier versions and always use the same printer driver when formatting. Note that .docx files are compressed and generally will be smaller that .doc files. I've never noticed by how much.

HTH,
    Pam
    Pam Caswell

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Stuart and Pam for your effort.
    I think this is a lost cause as the corrupted files have overwritten the 2007 files and it doesn't sound like I can recover the original formatting.
    Many thanks

Thanks
    [quote name='Matski' post='778390' date='04-Jun-2009 11:19']I think this is a lost cause as the corrupted files have overwritten the 2007 files and it doesn't sound like I can recover the original formatting.[/quote]
    Hopefully you can start from scratch with fresh copies of the DOCX files. (The "compatibility mode" files probably did not overwrite them due to the different extension.)

On the old machine, try installing a modern suite like OpenOffice.org that can handle DOCX format. It might not be perfect, but I think it has a better chance than Word 97. Hopefully it runs on whatever OS is on there.

One reason discussed in a past thread for inexplicable large file size increases is the use of various new styling features for pictures, such as shadows. The converter generates huge (in file size) new images that include the borders. See [topic="704626"]saving a docx to doc creates a very large file (2007) (Word)[/topic].