Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi,

I have created a report template that has little "snippet" boxes to include quotes and other short pieces of information (example on last page of attached document), which use text boxes. The text boxes are shaded, force the text to wrap around the text box, and I have created paragraph styles for the text styles contained.

However, I don't seem to have the same amount of control with text formatting in text boxes as I do with, for example, tables. I want the text to indent within the shading -- so it isn't so close to the edge of the shading, but I haven't been able to do this, instead only being able to indent the text and shading from the edge of the text box -- perhaps I'm doing it incorrectly.

I prefer the amount of control you get with tables but thought it wouldn't be possible to position tables to line up with the end of the blue header, forcing the text to wrap. I was wondering if text boxes are the best/only option for this?

Many thanks,
    Sam
    Attached Files Attached Files

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Sam,

Textboxes should be fine for this sort of application.

To get the text to indent from the shading, don't apply the shading as a property of the paragraph style ("Snippet Text"); instead, apply the shading as a property of the textbox itself. You can then define the Snippet Text style to indent however much you need it to.

Alternatively to setting the Snippet Text style to indent, you can also set the internal right and/or left margin for the text inside the textbox, using the Format Textbox dialog, Textbox tab.

Gary

Thanks
    [quote name='Sam577' post='778475' date='05-Jun-2009 14:09']Hi,

I have created a report template that has little "snippet" boxes to include quotes and other short pieces of information (example on last page of attached document), which use text boxes. The text boxes are shaded, force the text to wrap around the text box, and I have created paragraph styles for the text styles contained.

However, I don't seem to have the same amount of control with text formatting in text boxes as I do with, for example, tables. I want the text to indent within the shading -- so it isn't so close to the edge of the shading, but I haven't been able to do this, instead only being able to indent the text and shading from the edge of the text box -- perhaps I'm doing it incorrectly.

I prefer the amount of control you get with tables but thought it wouldn't be possible to position tables to line up with the end of the blue header, forcing the text to wrap. I was wondering if text boxes are the best/only option for this?

Many thanks,
    Sam[/quote]
    As Gary said, you certainly can use text boxes for this. I don't think you said which version of Word you are using, but these days Word can wrap text round tables, so if you want the facilities a table provides, such as setting out material in columns and rows, you should be able to do so.

I attach a sample.

[attachment=84134:Table_wi...wrapping.doc]

Ian
    Attached Files Attached Files