New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi: I Have a HP laptop with vista premium, I downloaded forefox and when I tried to install it I got this message "windows cannot access the specified device path or file. You may not have the appropriate permission to access the item" I am the admiinistrator, when I try to download it again I get the message, cannot download because of security settings, or something there about. Ihad set the security settings to the book "techniques for dummies" before I tried to open Firefox. The Knowledge base at microsoft had no solutions for my particular problem, although they had 3 solutions. Have you heard of this problem before? Thanks!

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Welcome to Woody's Lounge

I am the admiinistrator, when I try to download it again
    You are NOT "The Administrator" but a member of the Admin Group with your account.
    "The Administrator" account is protected and should NOT be used as a regular user.

Now, back to your problem, Right click the setup file and select "Run As Administrator". This will invoke "The Administrator" and may allow the install of this program.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='DaveA' post='778492' date='05-Jun-2009 11:40']Welcome to Woody's Lounge

You are NOT "The Administrator" but a member of the Admin Group with your account.
    "The Administrator" account is protected and should NOT be used as a regular user.

Now, back to your problem, Right click the setup file and select "Run As Administrator". This will invoke "The Administrator" and may allow the install of this program.[/quote]

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Dave, I did as you said but I still get the same message. I think I"ll try an earlier restore point. Maybe that will help.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='robbyj' post='778490' date='05-Jun-2009 11:33']I am the admiinistrator,...[/quote]
    I'm with Dave on this one, although our inkling may not be the reason why you aren't able to install Firefox. Make sure your account isn't "Standard" vs. "Administrator". A telltale sign is if you are prompted for a password if you try to install an application for All Users.

Secondly, you admittedly have played around with the default security settings, which only you know why you did this. It is more than possible that what you did is causing this problem too. So, what I would do is to undo the security settings you changed and set them all back to "default" and try again.
    Jeff
    simul iustus et peccator