Thread: Legion of Honor

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Just a small bit of what's going on today and tomorrow:

France calls two D-Day veterans to bear witness again

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    The words of an 86 year old British soldier:
    There was so much pain, so much suffering and such massive loss of life. Was it worth it? Rosier's response is emphatic.

"Yes, every minute of it. We go back to Europe quite frequently, and even in Germany people say to us 'thank you for our freedom'. It is only in recent years that I have realized how important freedom really is, you can't taste it, you can't feel or hear it. But it is so important to be free."
    From this article on CNN this morning: Horrors of war vivid for D-Day heroes

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='Bigaldoc' post='778588' date='06-Jun-2009 10:53']The words of an 86 year old British soldier:
    There was so much pain, so much suffering and such massive loss of life. Was it worth it? Rosier's response is emphatic.

"Yes, every minute of it. We go back to Europe quite frequently, and even in Germany people say to us 'thank you for our freedom'. It is only in recent years that I have realized how important freedom really is, you can't taste it, you can't feel or hear it. But it is so important to be free."
    From this article on CNN this morning: Horrors of war vivid for D-Day heroes[/quote]

I take my hat off to all of the veterans there but what a sad indiment of the British MOD that they would not send a band and the Vets from the Paras had to be welcomed by a German band!!

As an aside the Oldest British Vet fom WW1 celebrated his 113th birthday today, way to go Henry, http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/8086514.stm
    Cheers

Steve

Asking the questions everbody wants the answers too but feels too stupid to ask themselves :-)

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='stevehocking' post='778604' date='06-Jun-2009 09:09']... the Oldest British Vet fom WW1 celebrated his 113th birthday today ...[/quote]
    Well good for him! And cheers when you taste that tipple, Mr. Allingham!

There's not many of them left - Post 778206