Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    England shocked by Dutch in Twenty20 Opener

Well done Netherlands!

And quite a finish too, as a throw at the stumps which missed lead to the winning run.

I was watching the highlights on TV this morning, and my 16yo daughter is wide eyed- "Wow!"

I was surprised as I thought that she had no interest in cricket at all.

But I found out what she was on about.

"Those Dutch men are SOOO good looking!"
    Subway Belconnen- home of the Signboard to make you smile. Get (almost) daily updates- follow SubwayBelconnen on Twitter.

Thanks
    [quote name='gwhitfield' post='778585' date='06-Jun-2009 08:07']"Those Dutch men are SOOO good looking!"[/quote]
    As we know.

[attachment=84140:Flik.gif]

Ian
    Attached Images Attached Images

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='gwhitfield' post='778585' date='06-Jun-2009 17:07']England shocked by Dutch in Twenty20 Opener
    "Those Dutch men are SOOO good looking!"[/quote]
    But we're not biased here down under. We like you no matter what you look like... if you beat England at cricket!

Alan

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='AlanMiller' post='778626' date='06-Jun-2009 17:32']But we're not biased here down under. We like you no matter what you look like... if you beat England at cricket!

Alan[/quote]

Shame 'bout todays game though

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='jaystarter1' post='778640' date='07-Jun-2009 05:00']Shame 'bout todays game though [/quote]
    I can almost feel your heartfelt distress throbbing through the broadband.

But I must say that this 20-20 round will be an interesting contest. With all credit to the Windies, I think that India, Australia and South Africa are the standout top teams in the competition, but all three are pitted in the one Super Eight group at some stage. This means that (at least) one will miss out on the semi-finals.

As much as I consider 20-20 to be "not real" cricket, I must also confess that I'm drawn into this particular competition. Maybe I'll gradually assimilate it like I did one day cricket?

Alan

BTW, if any interested bodies are confused by the Super Eight draws and fixture, they can become still further confused by visiting the Schedule of the ICC Twenty20 Cricket World Cup 2009, T20 World Cup 2009, England | rediff.com

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='jaystarter1' post='778640' date='07-Jun-2009 07:00']Shame 'bout todays game though [/quote]
    Yes, a shame about that result.

But it really opens up the competition, as did the Netherlands result, so makes things a lot more interesting.

Australia has dominated all forms of cricket for some time so it's good to see that it's no longer a foregone conclusion. In any form of the game.

I especially enjoy a close game with a tight finish like the England Netherlands game.
    Subway Belconnen- home of the Signboard to make you smile. Get (almost) daily updates- follow SubwayBelconnen on Twitter.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    As much as I consider 20-20 to be "not real" cricket, I must also confess that I'm drawn into this particular competition. Maybe I'll gradually assimilate it like I did one day cricket?

Hmmmm.....well I for one hope it dies a death and very soon. While I'm all for modernising and moving with the times it appears to be geared just for TV and to make money. Although there are the usual skills involved in batting and bowling - it really seems like a game of rounders, just a slog and luck plays too big a part in the outcome.

Australia has dominated all forms of cricket for some time so it's good to see that it's no longer a foregone conclusion. In any form of the game.

If only this is true But my guess is they will be dominant over here during the "proper games" during july - september. Unless our players change their attitude and really do try to be the best.

Discuss

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='jaystarter1' post='778679' date='07-Jun-2009 22:32']Hmmmm.....well I for one hope it dies a death and very soon. While I'm all for modernising and moving with the times it appears to be geared just for TV and to make money. Although there are the usual skills involved in batting and bowling - it really seems like a game of rounders, just a slog and luck plays too big a part in the outcome.[/quote]
    Yep, the real thing that sets cricket apart from any other bat & ball game is missing - the strategies and tactics - the ground, the weather, the strengths & weaknesses to attack or exploit. There ain't no substitute for a 5 day test between two well-matched XIs!

If only this is true But my guess is they will be dominant over here during the "proper games" during july - september. Unless our players change their attitude and really do try to be the best.
    Well, all you need is Freddie Flintoff & Simon Jones to come out with that magic reverse swing on the new ball ( la 2005 Ashes series) and get Peterson & Co. firing with the bat and you've got a winner for sure.

Alan

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='AlanMiller' post='778682' date='07-Jun-2009 14:24']Well, all you need is Freddie Flintoff & Simon Jones to come out with that magic reverse swing on the new ball ( la 2005 Ashes series) and get Peterson & Co. firing with the bat and you've got a winner for sure.[/quote]

Not gonna happen. Both finished due to injury it looks like. And I reckon your team has sussed out Peterson and will have the better of him 50% of the time. As for 2005, I dont like to say it but the reality was we were thrashed 1st test, only won 2nd by 1 run? and if goodl old Shane hadn't dropped Peterson?. Still, you dont begrudge us an Ashes win occassionaly surely, and we try not to remember what happend when they came to Oz soon after Having said all that I shall be rooting for England to get revenge. It might be a close one again.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='jaystarter1' post='778717' date='08-Jun-2009 06:37']and we try not to remember what happend when they came to Oz soon after Having said all that I shall be rooting for England to get revenge. It might be a close one again.[/quote]
    What happened in Oz? Not trying to be funny, I really don't remember.

Still, that 2005 series was some of the best cricket I've ever seen, with the best England side I've ever seen. I don't think Aus played "badly" and regardless of the ifs & maybes, I think England had the better side and played the better cricket.

As always, we'll have to wait and see. If it's quality cricket, I'll be happy. And as always... bring on The Ashes.

Alan

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='AlanMiller' post='778741' date='08-Jun-2009 07:44']What happened in Oz? Not trying to be funny, I really don't remember.[/quote]

This might jog your memory and put a smile on your face then 2007 But yes it is something to look forward to later this year.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='jaystarter1' post='778796' date='09-Jun-2009 01:54']This might jog your memory and put a smile on your face then 2007 But yes it is something to look forward to later this year.[/quote]
    When you said I thought it must have been some questionable decision that turned a match or something. That would be a very serious situation But a 10-wicket win to seal a 5-0 whitewash? Now, that's nothing to get angry about.

Alan

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='AlanMiller' post='778805' date='08-Jun-2009 17:42']When you said I thought it must have been some questionable decision that turned a match or something. That would be a very serious situation But a 10-wicket win to seal a 5-0 whitewash? Now, that's nothing to get angry about.

Alan[/quote]

Ouch! but ..Oh Dear....

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes. Cricket is a subject about which I no longer wish to talk