Thread: Display problem

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    I have a screen display problem that I would welcome help with.

On booting, I appear to get a quick message flash and at least some things go normally, but the screen blanks and I don't get a chance to enter my password. The keyboard light is on, the mouse light is on, the drive light suggests normal pre-logon activity, but the screen remains blank.

In safe mode, the display is a normal safe mode display. I have gone back, using restore points, to a point that I am confident must be prior to the onset of the problem, without success.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    [quote name='peterg' post='778601' date='06-Jun-2009 07:53']On booting, I appear to get a quick message flash and at least some things go normally, but the screen blanks and I don't get a chance to enter my password. The keyboard light is on, the mouse light is on, the drive light suggests normal pre-logon activity, but the screen remains blank.[/quote]

1.) Can you make out any of the message?
    2.) Is there a video driver update available?
    3.) Have you checked the power management options?

Joe
    Joe

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='joeperez' post='778835' date='09-Jun-2009 03:25']1.) Can you make out any of the message?
    2.) Is there a video driver update available?
    3.) Have you checked the power management options?

Joe[/quote]

After a bit more fooling around and exploring, the situation is as follows:
    At boot from power off, I get the full normal (colour) HP splash screen, a message that windows did not shut down properly (which is because I shut it down by pushing on the switch) with choices to go into safe mode or continue with normal boot, and if I click on normal I get the Microsoft loading bar with bar scrolling to the right, and then I get the Windows startup sound (I'm not sure whether it's in stereo or not, but it's the real thing), with a screen that no longer shows anything. I think it is at this point that I normally have the option to pick which user I will log on as, and enter the user password.

1.) I think the message is now gone.
    2.) In Safe Mode, I see that there was a set of Nvidia updates installed, or at least dated, May 31.
    3.) Power Management = High Performance.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='peterg' post='778916' date='09-Jun-2009 03:38']2.) In Safe Mode, I see that there was a set of Nvidia updates installed, or at least dated, May 31.[/quote]
    You should be able to get back to the earlier Nvidia drivers by selecting "Last known good" from the start menu (the one where you can choose to start in Safe Mode.

Last known good will revert to the drivers that were in use the last time you successfully booted windows and logged in.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='StuartR' post='778939' date='09-Jun-2009 16:53']You should be able to get back to the earlier Nvidia drivers by selecting "Last known good" from the start menu (the one where you can choose to start in Safe Mode.

Last known good will revert to the drivers that were in use the last time you successfully booted windows and logged in.[/quote]

Last known good was no good. It accomplished nothing.

There is a complication that I failed to think of in my own troubleshooting and in reporting the problem, although I doubt that it is of any consequence. (It is difficult to reconstruct sequences of events, for me at least, without a chronology, which invites questions about Windows own logging, of which I know little.) Somewhere in the midst of this I purchased a (Belkin) DVI Dual Link Cable to allow the generic (Omnitech OM19WD) monitor to provide digital instead of analog (which it previously was, with an adapter) video output on the appropriate computers. It works well on the others, but this computer has both outputs (separate sockets, no less, which I hadn't noticed when using an adaptor). As I say I doubt that that is a factor, but I am reporting it 'in case'.

Somwhere buried in the Contol Panel I ran across a means of rolling back the driver(s), and I would like to give that a shot, but I need a hand in finding it. Maybe someone could point me in the right direction.

Administrator
    Thanks
    [quote name='peterg' post='779273' date='11-Jun-2009 00:52']Somwhere buried in the Contol Panel I ran across a means of rolling back the driver(s), and I would like to give that a shot, but I need a hand in finding it. Maybe someone could point me in the right direction.[/quote]

Open Device Manager, right click the device, select Properties | Driver. There should be a rollback button.

Joe
    Joe

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='joeperez' post='779331' date='11-Jun-2009 21:31']Open Device Manager, right click the device, select Properties | Driver. There should be a rollback button.

Joe[/quote]

I got quite an extravagant rollback setup, but I had no luck with it. (I am preoccupied with other things, and while it bugs me, I am getting along without that computer. It does, however, have some material I want, and I think I had better pay some attention to it.)

I have a (full Acronis) backup which will allow me to selectively restore certain things (such as the entire Windows folder). Can anyone think of a collection of files and folders I could restore while leaving my data intact that might solve display problem? The alternative is to restore my data to another drive and perform a clean install, which would be lovely but horribly time-consuming.

Thanks
    [quote name='peterg' post='779875' date='15-Jun-2009 14:56'][/quote]
    Have you tried booting into Safe Mode, and changing the video settings to some lowish resolution like 1024x768, or even 800x600, to see if you can then boot into 'ordinary' mode visible?

I've had problems when connecting a new screen which won't take the resolution that the graphics card settings were putting out...
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    That was an excellent suggestion, and it led to much playing with settings and learning a few things in the process. I don't know what the various drivers do, but the video is apparently an ATI device, so what the Nvidia drivers are I am not sure. Possibly network etc.

I did finally get it, initially by going a long way back in the restore points (of which I fortunately have a large number) but then discovering, through continued strange behaviour but with the luxury of a display, and then the use of a utility, that the real reason things were so gummed up was drive errors, which CHKDSK is now, I hope, fixing.

Thanks to everyone who helped. If there is a moral to the story it is to consider drive errors early in the game, especially if a number of things are going wrong all at once. I only had one problem to report until I got the display back, but then it was clear that a lot of things weren't working.

Administrator
    Thanks
    [quote name='peterg' post='780014' date='16-Jun-2009 00:36']I did finally get it, initially by going a long way back in the restore points (of which I fortunately have a large number) but then discovering, through continued strange behaviour but with the luxury of a display, and then the use of a utility, that the real reason things were so gummed up was drive errors, which CHKDSK is now, I hope, fixing.[/quote]

Thanks for posting your findings. At least a drive is not terrible expensive if you need to replace it.

Joe
    Joe