Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    in our household:
    Attached Images Attached Images

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Yeah, they look ready to eat YOU if you don't open that door!

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    Just per chance, when my father was over visiting, I pulled out an old photo of his father holding their family ######cat. We all agreed that this cat of yesteryear cut such a startling resemblance to our baby Spook (the black one above) that it must be some great great great ... relative. I'm sure you all concur!

Alan

BTW, the photo of my grandfather in uniform was taken just before he left to embark on the "adventure" that was WWI.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='AlanMiller' post='778666' date='07-Jun-2009 16:37']their family ######cat.[/quote]

And isn't it just wonderful to have nanny holding our little hands as we wander about in this big 'ol dangerous WWW. So, for those who can't figure it out, I was not blaspheming about cats (I'm sure nanny wouldn't approve of that either!) - I was referring to their p.u.s.s.y cat.

Alan

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='AlanMiller' post='778667' date='07-Jun-2009 02:42']And isn't it just wonderful to have nanny holding our little hands ...[/quote]
    Hmmm, I wonder if the nanny will let me refer to one of the USA's former presidents as Tricky Dick Nixon?

(Seems OK in preview)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='AlanMiller' post='778632' date='06-Jun-2009 13:08']in our household:[/quote]

Just be glad you don't have to eat any of this!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='DenGar' post='778854' date='08-Jun-2009 17:11']Just be glad you don't have to eat any of ...[/quote]
    I have to smile as I write this! I spent 10 years in the US Army, listening to guys complain about the food. It was "expected" that GI's thought the food was bad. In truth, it was really not that bad on the bottom line. The biggest thing I had a problem with was the COFFEE made in huge vats that tasted like it had been cooked for a week! I LOVED "SOS" and still do!

Now, I spend 7 days a week in an "old soldier's home" (veteran nursing home) and listen to that same stuff. Gripe, gripe, gripe... Like a mother feeding her children, every day at noon I "assist feed" my wife whose tool dexterity is limited. As a "mother hen" I sample something from her tray EVERY DAY, and (for institutional food) it ain't that bad. Those old soldiers continue the military tradition!

Well, a few weeks ago I spent 2 days in the hospital here and meal time was a highlight of my day! I waited for that cart to bring my food, three times a day. If I had spent very much longer in the hospital, I would have gained some unwanted weight. T'wasn't bad, except for the @#$^%^& decaf coffee!

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='Bigaldoc' post='778879' date='08-Jun-2009 18:37']. . . meal time was a highlight of my day! I waited for that cart to bring my food, three times a day.[/quote]

I have to admit that "institutional food" is sometimes (often times?) under-rated. When my mother was in an Altzheimer's nursing unit, I was pleasantly surprised by the amount and taste of what she was served. And just today, when I asked my son, who's deployed in Kandahar, Afghanistan, how the food was, he said it was either too spicey or too bland, even though he has a wide range of choices. Guess my next care package will include some spices for the bland food.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='DenGar' post='778926' date='09-Jun-2009 01:24']... my son, who's deployed in Kandahar, Afghanistan ...[/quote]
    Well, the next time you talk or email, give the young soldier a big "thumbs up" from an old soldier!

. . . for serving!

Thanks
    [quote name='Bigaldoc' post='778946' date='09-Jun-2009 16:27']Well, the next time you talk or email, give the young soldier a big "thumbs up" from an old soldier!

. . . for serving![/quote]

His polite way of saying "FEED ME".

Seems like the whole world comes to a complete stop with that look.
    Catz

Thanks
    [quote name='Bigaldoc' post='778879' date='08-Jun-2009 18:37']The biggest thing I had a problem with was the COFFEE made in huge vats that tasted like it had been cooked for a week! I LOVED "SOS" and still do![/quote]
    Coffee? Agreed. Navy cooks made it in 55 gallon "garbage cans". Just threw the whole cotton bag of coffee in, Stirred it with an old oar. BUT....it sure jolted your eyeballs open, I'll give it that.

SOS? Agggghhhh. Even the mention of it makes me run for the TUMS. Maybe the Army cooks went to advanced culinary school?
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Maybe the Army cooks went to advanced culinary school?
    They did, we had in Germany a drafted Pastry chef and a drafted Diner chef both of which were one of best I have ever run to.
    The pasty chef worked nights and we had fresh pastries everyday, I can still see those tasty rolls we had at breakfast every day, even when were camped out in the woods, protecting the East-West boarder.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='DaveA' post='779112' date='10-Jun-2009 11:03']They did, we had in Germany a drafted Pastry chef and a drafted Diner chef ...[/quote]
    I can relate to that. The company I was in for three years in France had a Mess Sergeant who was a former motor pool mechanic. How in the world the Army hornswaggled him into the mess hall, I can only imagine.

But he was still one of the best I ran into in my years of service. It's both confirming and somewhat amusing to note that my wife Billie, even in her somewhat demented state, still remembers Sergeant Winchester and the mess hall he ran 45 years ago! It takes all kinds.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='DaveA' post='779112' date='11-Jun-2009 03:03']protecting the East-West boarder.[/quote]One lodger must have taken a lot of looking after.

I guess the border also required protection
    Subway Belconnen- home of the Signboard to make you smile. Get (almost) daily updates- follow SubwayBelconnen on Twitter.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast