New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Everyone

I am convinced that unless I am lucky enough to reach someone who has had this same problem .. I will never be able to fix it.

I have a Gateway GM5045E MCE PC.

It is based upon the xp pro.

It has the Nvidia GeForce 6200 Turbo Cache card. (Integrated with the onboard chip)?

Well, a little over a year ago .. The display colors went south on me.
    (Washed out with the reds showing as almost black).

The pc sat in a repair shop for 2 months with everything being tried.

New video card, new and more powerful power unit, new drivers .. etc. etc.
    Nothing ever worked and no solutions were ever given.

I put the pc in the closet for 6 months and then one day, on a whim, I pulled it out and did a complete destructive re-install.

It had Beautiful color again after the install .. for about a week.

I kept using it for a few weeks and .. once in a while the colors would flash back to the correct colors.

They would only stay 'correct' for a short time then revert to the washed out look.

New cables, different monitors .. all the hardware checks out.

Heres my Dilemma: From right out of the box, I could never get a display when hooking up to the 6200 card.
    It's always had to run through the onboard port.

Checking in Device Manager, Belarc Advisor and Everest .. according to their stats: I have only a GeForce 6100 in the display Adapter category.
    (I'm guessing that is the Northbridge Chip)?

I've tried and I can't load the GeForce 6200 driver and have no clue as to why not? (the video card is still in the pc)

As an aside: Is there a way to check the video card's "slot" with a multi-meter for power?

ANY Ideas would be Greatly Appreciated.

Thanks
    D2C

BTW: Two other pieces to the clue .. This has always been a Media Center 2005 Edition but my system specs now read as 2002!

A BIOS problem maybe?

I also have an "Unknown" device with a question mark beside it.

It's says Bus CardBus.
    Would that be causing my problem?

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm a bit confused. Do you have on-board graphics AND a graphic card?

If you do, have you disabled the on-board graphics in the BIOS?
    John (Unreconstructed Jacobite)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Jon,

Thanks for the reply.

I believe that this card is integrated to be used with the onboard.

That is the way the pc was shipped.
    It is not an add in card.

Saying that .. I have tried just about every config known to man in the bios and elsewhere.

I am not a novice on pc's but This thing has got me .. as well as the pros: stumped.

I am especially confused about how the 2005 mce edition seemed to have changed to a to 2002 edition?
    The pc and its stats can be found at the following url:

http://tinyurl.com/npylbb

Thanks Again

D2C

Thanks
    [quote name='D2C' post='778706' date='07-Jun-2009 14:15']http://tinyurl.com/npylbb[/quote]

Following your link to the Gateway site and doing a quick look, it seems that your system is a fairly good one and worth saving.

1. You mention "the shop and the pros"? Are these people associated with Gateway at all? How much confidence do you have in
    them?

2. Have you tried to contact Gateway support regarding this?

3. The video is indeed integrated into the motherboard but have you or the "pros" tried to plug in any add on video card and disable
    the onboard video? You did say that the monitor was substituted as a test?

I would try to beg, borrow, steal or buy another video card and use one of the PCI or PCI X slots to install the card. Make sure you go into the BIOS to disable the onboard video. ( forget about trying to voltage test the slot for the video ) There isn't one ( it's integrated ) and besides the odds of you poking into the wrong place on the MB with a voltmeter probe, are very good that you end up blowing the board completely.
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

New Lounger
    Thanks
    BOB

THANKS for the reply.

The repair shops were actual store-front pc repair businesses.
    Their testing equipment couldn't even find an answer.

Two different 'new' cards have been tried in the machine and the color issue was still the same.

The pc is connected to a brand new 37" monitor as of now but has been tested on two others.

Thing is .. When this pc came out of the box .. New, I couldn't attach the video cable directly to the video cards port!? (No Signal)
    Always had to connect to the 'onboard' port even with the onboard disabled in bios.

Any ideas on why my system reads as a 2002 version now instead of the 2005 mce that it came as?

If I can find a way to get a screen shot of the colors on the pc, I'll post em here to show you what's going on.
    Basically I'd really be happy to se red again instead of almost black.
    The greens and blues are almost bearable.

Thanks Again

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Almost forgot: While I've been messing around with the 'other' pc .. I bought another one.
    Wadda ya think?

Got a Great 24" flat panel with it!

http://tinyurl.com/qldz68

Thanks
    [quote name='D2C' post='778718' date='07-Jun-2009 16:46']The repair shops were actual store-front pc repair businesses.
    Their testing equipment couldn't even find an answer.

Two different 'new' cards have been tried in the machine and the color issue was still the same.

The pc is connected to a brand new 37" monitor as of now but has been tested on two others.[/quote]
    Another thought. Have you tried a different video CABLE, or is one end hard wired into the monitor?

Contacted Gateway?
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Have tried new, off the shelf cables.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Here is a picture of the desktop on the computer with the color problem.

http://tinyurl.com/kq79ge

New Lounger
    Thanks
    UH OH

That ain't gonna work!!

Viewing that picture on this pc, (my new one) the colors look perfect!?

I assure you that they don't look like that on the other pc.

I wonder why that is?
    I sent the screen capture from the xp to this pc and then put the capture into my wifes photobucket account.

Now going back and looking at the photobucket account picture .. It looks perfect!??

I'm about to throw in the towel.

I thought that an actual picture would help .. I have No Clue as to Why the screen capture looks so good on This pc.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thinking that Maybe .. If I sent the screen capture directly from the messed up pc to photobucket .. It would keep the washed out colors look.

Nope!
    It seems that the pc can capture and 'send' a perfect picture but can't seem to 'deliver' that same kind of quality to a monitor??

And, yes, the xp has been connected to several different and new monitors and displays the same washed out colors!