Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Lounger
    Thanks
    I have a Linksys WRT 310N.

I run XP and Vista.

I have a wired XP desktop, a wireless XP laptop, and a wireless Vista desktop.

Recently my wireless connection has been disappearing for no reason that I can figure out.

I've been able to reconnect manually, but I haven't had enough chances to check out all the details of what is happening.

All I know is that both wireless PCs are losing the network, and on at least one of them, my LAN doesn't show up in the network list for a short time.

I have not moved any of this hardware, or added anything new to my home (except a Netflix Roku about a month ago). Yes, the problems did start within about 10 days of installing that.

What steps should I use to troubleshoot the problem.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    When connecting by wireless do you see other "networks" that you may be connecting to a neighbor's router?

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Thanks
    If you look at the Roku furums, there seem to be quite a few Roku users encountering router "problems". Some of those threads might have a suggestion.
    John
    A Child's Mind, Once Stretched by Imagination...
    Never Regains Its Original Dimensions

Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='DaveA' post='778777' date='08-Jun-2009 14:56']When connecting by wireless do you see other "networks" that you may be connecting to a neighbor's router?[/quote]

I can always "see" other networks. But, I am set up to automatically connect to our network.

In any event, we are losing an established connection, not having difficulty establishing the connection in the first place.

Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='Rebel' post='778780' date='08-Jun-2009 15:03']If you look at the Roku furums, there seem to be quite a few Roku users encountering router "problems". Some of those threads might have a suggestion.[/quote]

I browsed the Roku forums and didn't see anything about the Roku interfering with the established connection of a PC. Please clue me in if you saw something else there.

I'm speculating, but our problem seems more along the lines of 1) the USB "radio" failing, 2) the USB port failing, or 3) some drastic interference problem.

Are there events for wireless issues logged anywhere?

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    [quote name='boobounderathome' post='779271' date='10-Jun-2009 22:29']I can always "see" other networks. But, I am set up to automatically connect to our network.

In any event, we are losing an established connection, not having difficulty establishing the connection in the first place.[/quote]
    When connected to a network that you have not control of, it may be turned off and you do not know about it.

What connection names are being found?
    And is your connection name one that is NOT a default, made by the person that setup the router?

Here where I am, I see 3 "linksys" named connection and the owners are all having problems in connecting to the wrong one.
    And two of them always turns everything off when ever they leave their computer, so those who are connected to this router that is turned off loses their connection.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 925 Posts
    [quote name='boobounderathome' post='778733' date='07-Jun-2009 22:43']I have not moved any of this hardware, or added anything new to my home (except a Netflix Roku about a month ago). Yes, the problems did start within about 10 days of installing that.

What steps should I use to troubleshoot the problem.[/quote]

1.) Have you checked the Linksys site for a firmware update?
    2.) Have you moved any other wireless devices such as phones, remote controllers, etc.?

Joe
    Joe

Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='joeperez' post='779338' date='11-Jun-2009 14:39']1.) Have you checked the Linksys site for a firmware update?
    2.) Have you moved any other wireless devices such as phones, remote controllers, etc.?

Joe[/quote]

1) There is a firmware update available. Will upgrade.
    2) Not in a way that is correlated to the outages we're having.

Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='DaveA' post='779327' date='11-Jun-2009 14:27']When connected to a network that you have not control of, it may be turned off and you do not know about it.

What connection names are being found?
    And is your connection name one that is NOT a default, made by the person that setup the router?

Here where I am, I see 3 "linksys" named connection and the owners are all having problems in connecting to the wrong one.
    And two of them always turns everything off when ever they leave their computer, so those who are connected to this router that is turned off loses their connection.[/quote]

"When connected to a network that you have not control of, it may be turned off and you do not know about it."

Agreed. But I have no evidence that this is happening. Every time I've looked, we are connected to our own network by default.

"What connection names are being found?"

Do you mean the names of the other LAN's in my neighborhood?

"And is your connection name one that is NOT a default, made by the person that setup the router?"

Are you driving at getting me to check if we're actually connecting to our network? If so, I'm as sure as I can get that we haven't been connecting to someone else's network.

Our network is "always on". My wired PC is always running through the router, and never has had a problem (so the router and cable modem are OK). Our network is the default. We never have trouble connecting to it when we log on. By default, shared folders and printers are loaded when we connect, so we'd know immediately if we were connecting to someone else's network.

The only symptom is one wireless desktop that intermittently loses a network that it is connected to. There is no trouble reconnecting to it.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='boobounderathome' post='779460' date='12-Jun-2009 02:20']The only symptom is one wireless desktop that intermittently loses a network that it is connected to. There is no trouble reconnecting to it.[/quote]

Ah, back up there a bit you said "both wireless PCs are losing the network" . If it is just the desktop one, have you tried a different wireless adaptor? (I think you said USB - maybe fitting a wireless card would be a bit more robust)

Also check for driver updates for your wireless adaptor.
    John (Unreconstructed Jacobite)

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    The only symptom is one wireless desktop that intermittently loses a network that it is connected to. There is no trouble reconnecting to it.
    Yes, I was trying to find out if these machines were trying to connect to a different router, as I understood that ALL wireless was having this problem.
    Now, that it is ONLY one, then jonWallace may be on the right track.

Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='jonWallace' post='779526' date='12-Jun-2009 14:05']Ah, back up there a bit you said "both wireless PCs are losing the network" . If it is just the desktop one, have you tried a different wireless adaptor? (I think you said USB - maybe fitting a wireless card would be a bit more robust)

Also check for driver updates for your wireless adaptor.[/quote]

You're right - I was careless.

I think my wireless laptop (with an internal card) may have lost the network.

I know my wireless desktop with one of those USB thingies has lost the network many times.

I will check for updates for my wireless adaptor.

Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='DaveA' post='779535' date='12-Jun-2009 14:46']Yes, I was trying to find out if these machines were trying to connect to a different router, as I understood that ALL wireless was having this problem.
    Now, that it is ONLY one, then jonWallace may be on the right track.[/quote]

Agreed.

I am starting to think that this may all be in the wireless USB adaptor. On the most recent disconnect from the network, I uses the "Safely Remove Hardware" icon in my tray. The adaptor was still listed there, but I clicked through, got the popup that it was OK to remove, and pulled it out (I got the USB disconnect tone too - so I'm thinking this isn't an XP or USB issue). I plugged it back in and it immediately went looking for the network, found it, and connected.

The thing I don't get is that when the network originally disappeared, I looked for available networks and quite a few were listed (including a lot of B's and G's which I can match up with neighbores - but not mine. I'm using an N router, and am probably only 30 feet away, so it should be the strongest signal around.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    but not mine. I'm using an N router, and am probably only 30 feet away, so it should be the strongest signal around.
    Maybe no, as sometimes a signal will fly over the other device and may not be able to grab the connection.

Just like a cell phone signal, we are at the base of a hill on which the cell tower is sitting, and we do not get any signal here in the house, one has to go out in the street to get even 1 bar.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='DaveA' post='779575' date='12-Jun-2009 21:50']one has to go out in the street to get even 1 bar.[/quote]
    So long as there is at least one bar in the street you should be good for a beer

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast