5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Good morning

I am familiar in how to unlock a Word document when my old grey cells have forgotten a password so I will not put all of the details here. However for some reason if I try the procedure now I seem to have to have lost all of the script, I tried this with documents that I remember the passwords for and they are also blank. I am a bit stuck on how to recover the view, and advice please?

Edit: oops, with attachment :-)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Cheers

Steve

Asking the questions everbody wants the answers too but feels too stupid to ask themselves :-)

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Does the problem persist after restarting your PC?

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='HansV' post='778750' date='08-Jun-2009 11:12']Does the problem persist after restarting your PC?[/quote]

Hi Hans

I had thought of that but knowing who Office can make you look daft tried another reboot but it is still the same, I have attached a sample, the password is password and it unlocks OK but trying to go via the script method it is blank.

Thanks
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Cheers

Steve

Asking the questions everbody wants the answers too but feels too stupid to ask themselves :-)

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Pressing Alt+Shift+F11 opens the document (or rather its meta data) in the Script Editor, so there must be something wrong with the script editor - try reinstalling it (it's part of the Office 2003 installation)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='HansV' post='778757' date='08-Jun-2009 12:09']Pressing Alt+Shift+F11 opens the document (or rather its meta data) in the Script Editor, so there must be something wrong with the script editor - try reinstalling it (it's part of the Office 2003 installation)[/quote]

Thanks Hans

I have asked OUR support Company to dial in and do it.
    Cheers

Steve

Lounger
    Thanks
    Gentlemen:

I have found an easy way to unlock a password protected document that works on the Word 2003 documents I have tried.
    No script is required. No special program either. Just Word.

1. Load the password protected document
    2. Copy the entire document to Clipboard
    3. Create a new blank document
    4. Use Paste Special and copy as RTF file
    5. The document is now unprotected and can be edited.

I found this out this morning when I received a file that I had to edit and found it was password protected. The author did
    not remember password protecting it, so no password was available.

Note: using a standard paste does not remove the password protection.

Try my method out on the sample password protected file in this thread. It works.

If this is information that should not be made public, then please delete it.

I would be most interested in any comments.

Thomas Cox

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    What kind of protection do you mean? If a document has been protected for forms, you can't select text in the protected sections, so it won't be possible to copy the contents to another document...

Thanks
    [quote name='thomascox46' post='779223' date='10-Jun-2009 15:08']I have found an easy way to unlock a password protected document that works on the Word 2003 documents I have tried.[/quote]
    This should work for certain types of protection, such as "read only", "comments only" and "tracked changes only," since those forms of protection do not block access to the text.

It would not work when the document is protected for forms, since you cannot select protected regions in such a document.

If the page setup of the original file is important to preserve, you could try "the other method" (Post 278805).