June Homer

Saving message attachments (Outlook 2000 )

I am on a distribution list where I receive on average 1 message per day which has up to 20 embedded message attachments. Ideally I would like to save these attachments and open as one whole message.

Has anyone any idea how I can achieve this?

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Saving message attachments (Outlook 2000 )

you want one big message instead of the attachments? you'll need to change the list server options.

i know lsoft has mime (attachments) and normal (one big message) options. not sure on other list servers.

Thanks

I think you could write a VBA procedure to gather the message bodies together into one big text document (HTML would be pretty messy). How much of the message headers of the individual messages do you need to retain when constructing the all-in-one document?

June Homer

I don't need to keep any of the message headers. I did attempt to go down the VBA route but got stuck referencing a message within a message. An individual attachment only has a SaveAsFile or Delete method?

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

one thing manual way of merging all into one file - drop all the attachments into an empty outlook folder. select all and file > save as > text. depending on your version, the text in all selected items will be saved into one big text file. delete the messages from the folder.

Thanks

Yes, this has me defeated. Although in principle I can SaveAs (a .msg file) and open it in OL using Shell, the timing is wrong and I cannot reliably access the new message even when I know its exact Window title. For what it's worth, I attach my test code. It worked when it had Stop statements in strategic locations, but as noted in the comments, it doesn't work when run normally.
    Attached Files Attached Files

June Homer

Thanks both

Thank you both for your input here. I had seen Mary's suggestiion to copy all embedded messages to a seperate folder in a former post. I think the best solution is to marry this with VBA code to copy the messages into the desired folder for reading.