Thanks
    I've got a spreadsheet with names and email addresses that I want to import into Outlook contacts. I assume I need to save it as a .csv then import into Outlook.

How do I format the Excel spreadsheet so that the columns will be recognized as fields that I can map when I do the import? I'm assuming it needs to be headings of some type at the top of the columns, if so, how do I create the headings?

Thanks

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Outlook can import .xls files directly, there's no need to use .csv as intermediate format.

You'll get the opportunity to map columns from the Excel worksheet to Outlook fields just before finishing the import; Excel will try to guess as many as possible. If you want to know the field names used by Outlook, you can export existing contacts to Excel first.

Lounger
    Thanks
    I have been having a heck of a time trying to import MS Office 2003 Excel files to MS Office 2003 Outlook. The original files are being compiled on an XP laptop. The destination is MS Office Outlook on a Vista 64 bit laptop. There are only about fifty names and addresses. But when I do the import it adds the data and continues to import blanks forever. I have to go to task manager to halt MS Office Outlook. As a result, nothing is imported.

Is there some incompatibility issue here? If so, is there a program that will resolve the issue?

Many thanks in advance for any help.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Welcome to the Lounge!

Make sure that Excel doesn't think your worksheet extends further than the last filled row. You can check this by pressing Ctrl+End; this will take you to the last cell of the used range on the sheet.

If you still have problems, you can export the worksheet to a comma-separated values file (.csv) or to a tab-delimited text file (.txt), and import that into Outlook.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the quick response and suggestions.

When I do a CTRL-END in Excel, it properly takes me to the last entry. Still have the import problem.

I have tried using CSV with no success. But I just discovered I should have used the Windows version instead of the DOS version. At least it works with CSV now.

Thanks
    [quote name='HansV' post='778825' date='08-Jun-2009 18:54']Outlook can import .xls files directly, there's no need to use .csv as intermediate format.

You'll get the opportunity to map columns from the Excel worksheet to Outlook fields just before finishing the import; Excel will try to guess as many as possible. If you want to know the field names used by Outlook, you can export existing contacts to Excel first.[/quote]

Thanks, Hans.

I've not gotten back to this task to try it, but is there a way in Excel to create a heading (or header, not sure of the right terminology) that will be recognized as a field during the import process?

Thanks

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    The import process will look at the first row of the Excel sheet (or the first line in the .csv file) for the field names. It will try to match these to the field names used in Outlook. If you want to know which field names Outlook uses, to maximize the number of successful automatic matches, export a few contacts to Excel or to a .CSV file, and look at the result. You can use this as the starting point for the file to be imported.

Note: it is not necessary to include ALL fields used by Outlook in your Excel / .csv file. And it's not necessary to have them in the same order either.

Thanks
    OK. I was assuming the heading row needed to be formatted in some special way. Thanks for clearing that up.