5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I recently received an email from someone who moved to Exchange Server. The email had 4 pdf files and 4 files with names like ATT00018.htm, all begining with ATT and ending with the htm extension. Neither the sender or I have any idea what the ATT files are and why they were attached. Before changing to MS Exchange Server attachments were received normally without the additional ATT files? What is causing this?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    I think this happens if the sender uses HTML format while the recipient reads mail in plain text format. It's nothing to worry about.

Thanks
    [quote name='jimhaynes' post='778828' date='08-Jun-2009 12:07']The email had 4 pdf files and 4 files with names like ATT00018.htm, all begining with ATT and ending with the htm extension.[/quote]
    One theory is that the message was composed in Rich Text format with the PDF files embedded inline in the message. At some point, the message was converted to HTML format, and rather than simply extract the PDF files, the parser broke the message into 8 attachments, around the boundaries of the PDFs. If the sender open the original message from Sent Items, chooses Action>Resend (or OL 2007 equivalent) and changes the format to HTML, I would expect that the message would arrive with only the actual attachments as attachments. (Reminder: it's just a guess.)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='jscher2000' post='778866' date='08-Jun-2009 17:57']One theory is that the message was composed in Rich Text format with the PDF files embedded inline in the message. At some point, the message was converted to HTML format, and rather than simply extract the PDF files, the parser broke the message into 8 attachments, around the boundaries of the PDFs. If the sender open the original message from Sent Items, chooses Action>Resend (or OL 2007 equivalent) and changes the format to HTML, I would expect that the message would arrive with only the actual attachments as attachments. (Reminder: it's just a guess.)[/quote]
    My son is using Apple Mail and sending the messages with attachment via a MS Exchange Server.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='jimhaynes' post='779020' date='09-Jun-2009 15:27']My son is using Apple Mail and sending the messages with attachment via a MS Exchange Server.[/quote]
    I forgot to add he composes the text in Rich Text format.