Thread: Spell Check

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Is it possible to spell check before posting?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    If you use Mozilla Firefox or Google Chrome, you can use the built-in spell checker by clicking the button above the editing area.
    For Internet Explorer, you need to install an add-in such as ieSpell (free for personal use).

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='HansV' post='778837' date='08-Jun-2009 15:31']If you use Mozilla Firefox or Google Chrome, you can use the built-in spell checker by clicking the button above the editing area.
    For Internet Explorer, you need to install an add-in such as ieSpell (free for personal use).[/quote]
    I use Firefox 3.0. I can not find the button. Do you mean the editing area where I am typing this reply?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    It's above the upper right corner of the area where you type a post or reply.

Added oops, sorry, that's for Internet Explorer. In Firefox, you can turn spell checking on and off from the right-click menu in the edit area.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: png x.png (9.8 KB, 1 views)

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='HansV' post='778843' date='08-Jun-2009 21:55']Added oops, sorry, that's for Internet Explorer. In Firefox, you can turn spell checking on and off from the right-click menu in the edit area.[/quote]
    If you have installed a dictionary add-on. Some language versions doesn't include a spell checker.

Thanks
    [quote name='HansV' post='778837' date='08-Jun-2009 20:31']If you use Mozilla Firefox or Google Chrome, you can use the built-in spell checker by clicking the button above the editing area.
    For Internet Explorer, you need to install an add-in such as ieSpell (free for personal use).[/quote]
    If you use Opera, you can also check spelling but you have to have installed GNU Aspell as described here. The you right click in the editing area and select the Check Spelling option.

Ian

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Where Fx is concerned, I'm not sure I understand the concern about spell checking. As I type a post, Fx will underline it in red if I have not spelled the word correctly. If I then right-click on that word, 99.9% if the time, it will propose the correct spelling.

Obviously that doesn't cover "grammatical" errors or errors in "style." Those are the majority of reasons I sometimes have to edit a post, because I use "there" instead of "their" and so on.

What IS disappointing to me about Firefox spell checking is that it doesn't seem to recognize "contractions" such as the "doesn't" in this line of text, and it highlights it as being incorrect spelling.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='Bigaldoc' post='778869' date='09-Jun-2009 00:13']Where Fx is concerned, I'm not sure I understand the concern about spell checking. As I type a post, Fx will underline it in red if I have not spelled the word correctly. If I then right-click on that word, 99.9% if the time, it will propose the correct spelling.[/quote]
    The OP is from the USA so I guess my post wasn't that interesting, but as has been mentioned before not all Fx language versions include dictionaries, i.e. the ability to right-click in a text box and get a word suggestion. In for example the Swedish version there is no dictionary, neither a Swedish nor English. I have an English dictionary I use sometimes. I tested a Swedish dictionary add-on and it was so annoyingly bad that I uninstalled it; even if it is possible to add own words, it can't be my task to teach the dictionary.

Thanks
    [quote name='Bigaldoc' post='778869' date='08-Jun-2009 18:13']What IS disappointing to me about Firefox spell checking is that it doesn't seem to recognize "contractions" such as the "doesn't" in this line of text, and it highlights it as being incorrect spelling.[/quote]
    That's the way the spell checker was on the "old" Lounge too. When I use the current spell check, it suggests Baltic for BigAlDoc.
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='IanWilson' post='778864' date='08-Jun-2009 22:55']If you use Opera, you can also check spelling but you have to have installed GNU Aspell as described here. The you right click in the editing area and select the Check Spelling option.

Ian[/quote]

The latest betas of Opera include spellchecking (without tears). Note for upgraders -back up your profile, 'cause they've moved them...
    John (Unreconstructed Jacobite)