New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello,
    I have a new computer with XP SP3 and Office 2003 SP3. I am using Outlook with Exchange. When I attempt to perform a mail merge to email using Word, all goes as expected (a procedure I use on my old computer with same OS and Office version) until I go to complete the merge- nothing happens! If I switch the format to plain text, I get the "a program is trying to send email..." warning but then I say "yes" and the plain text email goes out. However the html email should go just fine (it does on my other computer). When I try it, there is no error and no indication of anything at all happening - and the emails are not sent (I am sure). I have seen this issue listed in some forums but no answer is evident. I'm hoping that changes here. Many thanks,
    Rob

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Welcome to the Lounge!

Have you checked whether the security warning (the same one that you get when using plain text format) is hidden behind Word when using HTML format? You can use Alt+Tab to check this, or minimize Word.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes, but I did not see one. Furthermore, on the machine that works I get the same behavior for the plain text attempt (security warning) and when I switch to html the email simply goes right out. Several people have offered me suggestions on getting rid of or around the security warning but that is not my focus at all. Thanks for your time.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    There are numerous references to this problem in the newsgroups (more with Office 2007, but also with Office 2003), but I don't see a clear solution. I hope that someone else will come up with a useful suggestion.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Are you using Outlook Redemption? I have distant memories of using this about four years ago for an email batch and everything seemed to work reasonably easily.
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

New Lounger
    Thanks
    No, I am not using Outlook Redemption and I don't think I will pursue that. Thanks though. I am still working on finding a solution to this issue without working around it, if that makes sense.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    It is interesting that it works on one PC but not the other. Is Word set as the email editor on one machine but not the other? Does it make a difference if Outlook is opened/closed?
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Word is set as the email editor on both machines. It does not make a difference if Outlook is open or closed. On the machine that works fine, I can tell when Word "calls" Outlook into service because you can see Outlook open up for a moment (if it was not already open). On the machine that does not work, the "call" never appears to be made as Outlook is never invoked. Also, the default email format is html on both machines. I have tried changing that as well and it has made no difference on the non-working machine.