Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Can Loungers recommend software for cataloguing books?

I had tried and quite liked Bolide Software's AllMyBooks which I got through http://www.giveawayoftheday.com/ but since having to reinstall Windows, I can't now reinstall it free - you have to install in the 24 hours the offer is on. So I'd have to pay for it.

A bit of research has also located Libellus which is free, but says the developer is no longer working on that version, though he may develop a newer one.

I've also come across Readerware and Book Collector both of which are paid for products.

No doubt there are more.

The only reason for thinking of buying software instead of keeping my own database in MS Access is that these products can save a lot of time by entering all the book details for you if you enter the ISBN.

So does anyone have a favourite they would like to recommend?

Ian

Thanks
    [quote name='IanWilson' post='779106' date='10-Jun-2009 07:36']The only reason for thinking of buying software instead of keeping my own database in MS Access is that these products can save a lot of time by entering all the book details for you if you enter the ISBN.[/quote]
    Random thought: you might be able to build your own ISBN data retrieval routine with an Amazon developer key or another web-based API.

Thanks
    [quote name='IanWilson' post='779106' date='10-Jun-2009 10:36']...you have to install in the 24 hours the offer is on.[/quote]

You may be right, but have you tried to reinstall it anyway. I seem to recall getting something or other free during a 24 hour giveaway. The 24 hours applied to the availability of the download, not to the time to install it. It seems rather illogical to me that a developer would build in a 24 hour install window just for a one day promotion.
    Regards,
    PaulB

Thanks
    [quote name='jscher2000' post='779170' date='10-Jun-2009 19:29']Random thought: you might be able to build your own ISBN data retrieval routine with an Amazon developer key or another web-based API.[/quote]
    That assumes a lot more expertise than I have!

Ian

Thanks
    [quote name='PaulB' post='779201' date='10-Jun-2009 20:55']You may be right, but have you tried to reinstall it anyway. I seem to recall getting something or other free during a 24 hour giveaway. The 24 hours applied to the availability of the download, not to the time to install it. It seems rather illogical to me that a developer would build in a 24 hour install window just for a one day promotion.[/quote]
    I can try, I suppose.

Ian

Edited to add - I tried it and it doesn't work.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='IanWilson' post='779106' date='11-Jun-2009 00:36']Can Loungers recommend software for cataloguing books?

I had tried and quite liked Bolide Software's AllMyBooks which I got through http://www.giveawayoftheday.com/ but since having to reinstall Windows, I can't now reinstall it free - you have to install in the 24 hours the offer is on. So I'd have to pay for it.[/quote]
    Ian,

What was the date of the giveawayoftheday file?

Alan

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='PaulB' post='779201' date='11-Jun-2009 05:55']You may be right, but have you tried to reinstall it anyway. I seem to recall getting something or other free during a 24 hour giveaway. The 24 hours applied to the availability of the download, not to the time to install it. It seems rather illogical to me that a developer would build in a 24 hour install window just for a one day promotion.[/quote]

Yes and no. Usually they take the developer's version and put their own setup wrapper around that. If you run their setup file, it checks on the date/availability and won't extract the contents if wrong. They also use an "activate.exe" file of their own, which acts similarly but serves just to register the main program. You can "capture" the required info at install time and reapply later, but you have to at least do an install/uninstall on the prescribed day.

Alan

Thanks
    [quote name='AlanMiller' post='779252' date='11-Jun-2009 02:48']Ian,

What was the date of the giveawayoftheday file?

Alan[/quote]
    9 June 2008

Ian

Thanks
    [quote name='AlanMiller' post='779253' date='11-Jun-2009 02:57']You can "capture" the required info at install time and reapply later, but you have to at least do an install/uninstall on the prescribed day.[/quote]
    So I wonder whether I can still retrieve that from the files on my disk?

(Or I'd still be happy for other recommendations of suitable software.)

Ian

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='IanWilson' post='779280' date='11-Jun-2009 03:33'](Or I'd still be happy for other recommendations of suitable software.)[/quote]
    Ian,
    I've been using Mediaman lately and it seems quite capable for cataloging DVD's, and the program claims to do books as well. Not free, but it does have a 30 free trial.
    http://www.imediaman.com/products/mediaman.html

Thanks
    [quote name='bleduc' post='779289' date='11-Jun-2009 11:00']Ian,
    I've been using Mediaman lately and it seems quite capable for cataloging DVD's, and the program claims to do books as well. Not free, but it does have a 30 free trial.
    http://www.imediaman.com/products/mediaman.html[/quote]
    That looks interesting. I'll give it a go later. Thanks.

Ian

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='IanWilson' post='779106' date='10-Jun-2009 10:36']Can Loungers recommend software for cataloguing books?[/quote]
    Before I moved back to the U.S., I maintained all the PCs for 3 libraries. This included upgrading their software. What they used was a system called, Athena. It ain't cheap and it may be overkill for what you are looking for?? However, it is one great program for cataloging and searching reference material; books, pamphlets, DVDs, etc.

Hmmmm, I just noticed that Athena, having been bought out is no longer being offered to new customers. But, the company that acquired Athena does have a replacement multi-faceted system which you can read about here: Destiny
    Jeff
    simul iustus et peccator

Thanks
    [quote name='Pilgrim' post='779383' date='11-Jun-2009 19:33']Before I moved back to the U.S., I maintained all the PCs for 3 libraries. This included upgrading their software. What they used was a system called, Athena. It ain't cheap and it may be overkill for what you are looking for?? However, it is one great program for cataloging and searching reference material; books, pamphlets, DVDs, etc.

Hmmmm, I just noticed that Athena, having been bought out is no longer being offered to new customers. But, the company that acquired Athena does have a replacement multi-faceted system which you can read about here: Destiny[/quote]
    I think you are right about it being overkill. We probably have two or three thousand books at home, but we are not a library.

But thanks.

Ian

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    This topic has tickled my interest, since I once had the "challenge" of extracting exchange rates and gold price to a desktop application, from websites that continually changed their layout. Following along these lines, I found the free software Libellus Personal Library « AntMason.com. He uses isbndb.com - free ISBN database as his information source, and they provide a remote access API:

We offer a free web services access to the data through the remote access API. The API strives to be simple to use in both on-line and desktop applications. It is based on standard HTTP queries and XML based responses.

Full details are in the Developer Area at ISBNdb.com. It just remains for somebody keen enough to integrate this into a desktop app. <cliché>I would if only I had the time!</cliché>

Alan

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    What's that old saying? "All good things come to those who wait"?
    [quote name='AlanMiller' post='779778' date='15-Jun-2009 00:56']It just remains for somebody keen enough to integrate this into a desktop app.[/quote]
    It looks like somebody has! Just found bookTome - small, fast, portable version available, FREEware. Looks like it fits the wishlist perfectly.

Alan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast