Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi,

I have had ie 8.0 installed on Windows Vista for about 3 months now. Recently it has stopped starting up on left click - the mouse cursor shows busy for a few seconds but the app never starts up. The only way I can get it to run is by right clicking and selecting 'run as adminstrator'. This happens in all User accounts.

While I can survive with this situation, it appears to be having knock on effects (internet connection dropping out frequently).

Any ideas how I can get it back to normal state?

Thanks,

Mike

Administrator
    Thanks
    [quote name='soonah98' post='779232' date='10-Jun-2009 18:11']I have had ie 8.0 installed on Windows Vista for about 3 months now. Recently it has stopped starting up on left click - the mouse cursor shows busy for a few seconds but the app never starts up.

Any ideas how I can get it back to normal state?[/quote]

1,) Have you re-booted?
    2.) Have you tried a System Restore to a time when you a fairly sure it was working?
    3.) Have you tried an uninstall and reinstall?

Joe

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, I installed Vista SP2 and it appears to be okay now.

Administrator
    Thanks
    [quote name='soonah98' post='779295' date='11-Jun-2009 05:46']Thanks, I installed Vista SP2 and it appears to be okay now.[/quote]

Glad you found a solution. Thanks for posting back.

Joe

Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='joeperez' post='779320' date='12-Jun-2009 00:04']Glad you found a solution. Thanks for posting back.

Joe[/quote]
    Actually the problem has returned. I went back to IE 7.0 but no improvement so am now back with IE 8.0. The problem seems to be a slow start in some cases. If I have just booted up and there are no other apps running, then it takes up to 2 mins for IE to appear. If there are other apps running, then it will appear as normal. Oh well, I can live with it for the moment.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Do you have Spybot Search & Destroy? If so, have you applied Immunization? This is known to cause problems with Internet Explorer 8. Disabling Immunization will greatly speed up the start time for IE8.
    The same is true for SpywareBlaster. The effect of disabling SpywareBlaster's protection for Internet Explorer is much less dramatic, however.

Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='HansV' post='780131' date='17-Jun-2009 03:37']Do you have Spybot Search & Destroy? If so, have you applied Immunization? This is known to cause problems with Internet Explorer 8. Disabling Immunization will greatly speed up the start time for IE8.
    The same is true for SpywareBlaster. The effect of disabling SpywareBlaster's protection for Internet Explorer is much less dramatic, however.[/quote]

Hi, I don't have any of them. I do have PC-Doctor though (didn't install it myself) and Vista sometimes asks if I can run the pcdr5cui32.exe file via UAC.

Also, I have IPv6 switched off. Don't know how or why this is switched off or when it happened.

IE 8 seems to be okay sometimes - starting normally. I noticed when in this mode, http links from my emails work, that is when I click on them IE opens up and the page display.

When IE 8 is not working normally, I can only start it as Run as administrator and links from my email don't work. When I click on them I get an error 'Windows cannot find http://address... Make sure you typed the address correctly'. (This is Windows Mail). Quite strange behaviour actually.

Lounger
    Thanks
    The problem seems to have gone away ever since I completely removed Norton antivirus with the Norton removal tool. Previous to that I had only used Windows Add /Remove programs.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for posting back with the solution.