New Lounger
    Thanks
    [attachment=84230ocumentFinal.jpg]

Instead of dragging my other post out to an unbearable length, I thought it best to start over.

After LOTS of experimentation, I Think that I have a "readable" screen capture here.

For those that don't know what or why I am posting this: I have a windows xp pro pc that for Over a year I have tried Everything to get the display colors back into viewable condition.

This pc is the Media Center Edition, GM5045E from Gateway.
    It came with an "Integrated" GeForce 6200 'turbo cache' video card.
    I am guessing that the onboard chip and card work together.

Somewhere along the way, the pc lost the ability to see/find the video card.

Well, at least according to Device manager .. The cards not there!?
    I find that hard to believe because other than missing any reds in my display .. Everything else works Great.

Even after downloading the drivers for the card .. Nothing changes.

That nvidia 6100 that you see in the device manager is the onboard chip .. I Think.

That brings me back to the reason for the attachment.
    Maybe someone, somewhere can see a conflict or some other problem by looking at a screen capture from the Device Manager?

Thanks Everyone.

BTW: I've done a complete 'Destructive' restore and had good color for about a week and then .."Poof" gone again.

For a while the colors would flash in and out, (good/bad) but even that has stopped.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='D2C' post='779278' date='11-Jun-2009 02:52']... I've done a complete 'Destructive' restore and had good color for about a week and then .."Poof" gone again ...[/quote]
    Upfront I will say that I have no experience with those products, but there's something in my gut that tells me you may have a hardware problem that I'd wager can't be fixed by you. It sounds like the motherboard, or some selective component on the board, is malfunctioning. I say this because in your earlier thread you make it clear that you've swapped hardware around, so it has to be a problem inside the computer.

I don't think it's software or it wouldn't be "OK" and then go "Poof" again (I think). Even though it may not be under warranty, you ought to consider talking to Gateway to see if they have any diagnostics that you can do to isolate the problem to a graphic chip or whatever. It doesn't sound very promising for that PC.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    [quote name='D2C' post='779278' date='11-Jun-2009 01:52']I've done a complete 'Destructive' restore and had good color for about a week and then .."Poof" gone again.

For a while the colors would flash in and out, (good/bad) but even that has stopped.[/quote]

I agree with BigAl that it appears you have a hardware problem. Unless you are changing software settings, the problem most likely would not disappear and reappear. If the video card makes use of shared memory you should run memory diagnostics. Could also be a flaky power supply. Since you've swapped hardware around, have you double checked all the physical connections?

Joe
    Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Big Al, Joe

Thanks for your inputs.

I think that I agree with you .. Hardware.

I'm hoping that the hardware problem may be the cheapo GeForce 6200 card.

I posted the following as a follow up reply to someone in another forum .. Maybe it can help clarify some things?

===================

From the day I brought the pc home and plugged it in .. I could never plug 'directly' into the GeForce 6200 card and get a signal .. never!

Didn't matter if you turned the onboard off or not.

From day one, It always had to run from the onboard port.
    I have been told so many different things about the workings of the video that I just don't know what to believe.

I've been told that the 6200 card which is plugged into the pci ex slot works 'with' the onboard.

If I disable the onboard, I get the same colors but, the scrolling, mouse movements and magnifier are jerky as hell.

All of this while still being plugged into the onboard port.

No matter what .. You can Never get anything when you plug into the GeForce 6200 card's port.

Other cards have been tried by the now defunct 'techs' at Circuit City (firedog) and they Did get a display through the new cards but the colors were still messed up!

I don't know if they tried disabling the onboard at the time.
    They didn't seem to know too much after keeping the pc for two months!

Why would Gateway have a GeForce card in the unit in the first place if you could only run it using the onboard with it?
    Can you see my confusion here? LOL