Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    This is possibly a bit of a stab in the dark, but I am hoping that there is a simple solution that I am missing:

My knowledge is limited in this area, so I'll give as much background as I can.

We use a browser based application which is kind of like a lookup table. We enter an account number into the browser field, submit, and a new screen is populated with more information linked to that account. I am assuming that behind the browser, there must be an access database. I have no idea where this is located, I assume that this is designed to be hidden.

This is fine for our general useage, but one of my colleagues had far more extensive needs to use this on a regular basis on multiple accounts. The following excel macro was written by another colleague (whom is no longer with us), to automatically pull data back to excel on a loop. This was installed on one users machine.

Looking at the code, it looks to me that the browser is bypassed and the data is being pulled directly from a database?

Anyhow, I copied the code to my machine, thinking that I would also be able to use the macro, but it seems not, (see screenshot)

Code:
    Sub AccountChain()

Dim CellRC, CellValue, CellResult As String
    Dim RowNum, HighRow, HomeRC As Integer
    Dim oQT As QueryTable
    Dim sConn As String

HighRow = ActiveWorkbook.ActiveSheet.Cells(1, 1).SpecialCells(xlLastCell).Row

sConn = "ODBC;DSN=AccountChain;"

For RowNum = 1 To HighRow Step 1
    	CellRC = "F" & RowNum
    	Range(CellRC).Select
    	If ActiveCell.Value = "" Then
    		Exit For
    	End If

CellResult = "E" & RowNum

sSql = "SELECT B2kAccno FROM AccountChain WHERE Root in (SELECT Root FROM AccountChain WHERE Accno = '" & Right(ActiveCell.Value, 16) & "') and TransferDate = '99999999'"

Set oQT = ActiveWorkbook.ActiveSheet.QueryTables.Add( _
    		Connection:=sConn, _
    		Destination:=Range(CellResult), _
    		Sql:=sSql)

oQT.FieldNames = False
    	oQT.BackgroundQuery = False
    	oQT.AdjustColumnWidth = False
    	' oQT.MaintainConnection = True
    	oQT.RefreshStyle = xlOverwriteCells

oQT.Refresh

Next RowNum

CellRC = "E1"
    Range(CellRC).Select

End Sub
    [attachment=84249ataSource.GIF]

Can I find out (from my colleagues machine) where the data source is? If so, how, and what do I need to do to create the link in order to use the macro on my machine?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Open the ODBC Data Sources control panel on your former colleague's PC, and look for the AccountChain data source. It could be in either of the User DSN, Machine DSN or File DSN tabs. When you find it, select it and click Configure to see details about it.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Aha, so there is hope, Thanks. one question, as I am in unfarmiliar territory.

<Open the ODBC Data Sources control panel on your former colleague's PC,

Is this the dialogue in my screenshot? On my PC, this opens automatically when i attempt to run the code, but how do I get to it on my colleagues?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    No, the dialog in your screen shot is a request to select a DSN.

In Vista:
    - Select Start | Control Panel.
    - If you're using the regular categorized view (not the classic view), open "Administrative Tools".
    - Open "Data Sources (ODBC)".

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Thankyou Hans.

At work I am on XP, not vista, but I am sure I'll find it in the control panel. I'll take a look tomorrow and report back. Cheers.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    In XP:
    - Select Start | Control Panel.
    - If you're using category view, click "Other Control Panel Options" in the task pane on the left hand side.
    - Open Data Sources (ODBC).