New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi - (hope I'm doing this correctly.... hope it goes somewhere...!)
    I知 not a beginner but I知 coming to the conclusion that I知 pretty low-grade intermediate. To explain why I知 going to sound so stupid and to give a better idea of what I want to know, and so get the best answer, I should give some history.
    For that I have to go back to the days of DOS.
    I loved DOS (I知 probably one of a very tiny group who actually got hit by Y2K)! In the year 2000 I was still using DOS. After that, I backdated my calendar to the 1990s and I continued to work in DOS (I should have kept that computer, I壇 still be happy).
    But, from DOS I jumped to Windows 2000. I hung around there until now, now when I have Vista (groan!).
    So here痴 the problem.
    In DOS I used Style Sheets. They were wonderful. Fun to create and great to use. Quick and efficient and one of the reasons I never upgraded. (I hope someone out there still remembers Style Sheets. Or DOS for that matter!)
    In Windows 2000 I was able to adapt the Style Sheets by formatting 都tyle痴 (using Alt + F3 and then F3 to recall them). They, too, worked beautifully.
    I skipped XP mainly because I was led to believe that whoever designed that system excised my styles or modified them out of existence.
    Now I sit with Vista, where everything is suddenly different, and I have the ghosts of DOS and 2000 hovering over me, interfering with a whole lot of my key strokes (I don稚 use a mouse if I can help it and keystroke habits are hard to break!) and I知 lost in the maze of templates/macros/themes/boilerplate texts/quick parts/autotext (tried those last two as they looked like the closest to what I wanted, but they not, not really, they don稚 work the way I need it to or the way it used to or I知 not doing them properly and I知 totally bewildered by all the options in the drop down menu)
    I知 miserable, my head is spinning and I知 pining for DOS. And I don稚 have the time! to wade through all the new terminology and the new ways of doing things! I want my style sheets!

Now that my tantrum is over, I have to figure out how to creat something that works and I need help, please, please, please. I need something that will format a page in a specific way with just one or two keystrokes for each format. Something that will simplify my life and save me lots of time. And, so far, for that, Vista and I are a disaster together!
    Please help.
    Thanks
    ihaidee

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    You're talking about operating systems - DOS, Windows 2000, XP and Vista - but from your description I get the impression that you're having problems with Word, which is not an operating system but a word-processing application, and more in particular with Word 2007.

Word 2000 runs on Windows 95 and later, while Word 2007 runs on Windows XP and on Windows Vista (and on recent server versions of Windows too).

The keyboard shortcuts Alt+F3 and F3 that you mention have to do with AutoText entries in Word: Alt+F3 creates an AutoText entry from selected text, and F3 inserts an AutoText entry.
    In Word 2007, AutoText has been incorporated in a slew of new features, but it is still available if you want it: see What has changed for the AutoText feature?.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes, I am talking about word.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have word 2007 and I can't get it to create the kind of style I was used to using in both Dos and Windows 2000.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    It's all that grizzly new vocabulary around Quick parts and auto text which give pseudo options that don't do what style used to do.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Hans Sorry I'm sending such disjointed replies - I'm trying to remember the old way. It seems to me that Auto Text could accept a far more complicated formatting than it does now. And I'm not sure what the difference between quick parts and auto text is. In what way (and in what context) do they function differently? Any ideas?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    I don't have Word 2007 myself, so I'll have to leave that for others.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The Quick Parts feature in Word 2007 is the same as AutoText in previous versions of Word (more or less).

To create a new Quick Parts entry:

Select the text (and formatting), then either

* press Alt F3

or

* click the Insert tab, Text group, Quick Parts, Save Selection to Quick Part Gallery...

Then type an abbreviation and, if you like, a description, and click OK to save the entry. (By default, all new entries are saved to a special "Building Blocks" template, but you can save to a different template if you prefer.)

To use the entry, simply type your abbreviation and press F3. That's exactly how the feature worked in previous versions.

In addition to the Quick Parts feature, Word 2007 allows you to create styles that can be applied to paragraphs, as well as "Style Sets" for the entire document that determine the font face and size as well as paragraph formatting (including such attributes of paragraphs as line spacing).

I don't have time to go into styles and Style Sets here, but rest assured that they are included in Word 2007, though it might be more difficult in this version of Word to figure out where things are located and how to get access to all existing styles.

Jan

Author, "Formatting Legal Documents With Microsoft Office Word 2007"

For Word and WordPerfect tips, also see my (new) blog at http://compusavvy.wordpress.com
    Author, Formatting Legal Documents With Microsoft Word 2016,
    Formatting Legal Documents With Microsoft Word 2010​,
    and Formatting Legal Documents With Microsoft Office Word 2007

For Word and WordPerfect tips, visit my blog at http://compusavvy.wordpress.com

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks. Will explore further.
    hiadee