Thread: Service Pack 3

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I recently figured I would go ahead and finally install SP3 on my desktop with Windows XP Home. This is a 2.4 Core Duo system with 2 gig of RAM.

I had a number of issues to deal with after the install, the biggest being that it messed up my Norton Winfax. It took a couple days but I finally got that straightened out and began to just use the computer on a normal basis.

What really took my by surprise is that large Excel macros that used to take 4 or 5 seconds to run now happen virtually instantly. Do you think that is the result of the SP3 install or some Office update that took place at the same time?

Just curious since it's such a dramatic improvement in speed.

Thanks,
    BH

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    I don't think the increase in speed of the Excel macros is directly related to Windows XP SP3 - this service pack is essentially a roll-up of updates and patches released after SP2. It doesn't significantly change the performance of Windows and Windows applications.

Thanks
    A couple of ideas...
    At the time on the SP install, did you happen to clean out the Windows temp file?
    If you had thousands of files in there, then removing them could make a difference.

Did you change any settings in your anti-virus program.
    Norton was/is famous for slowing down Excel with its office scan.
    '--
    Jim Cone
    Portland, Oregon USA

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Jim,

I already have Norton configured to minimize slow down of macros and I didn't clean out any temp files.

I've been using this group of Excel macros for years on multiple generations of computers and they've always taken a few seconds to run.

Given what has been said here my guess is that the Office updates somehow made the improvement in speed, which as I said, is quite significant. The reason I thought that perhaps SP3 had something to do with it was maybe an improvement in the dual core processing system. But as was also said above SP3 is mostly just the earlier patches grouped together anyway.

Thanks for the responses,
    BH

[quote name='Jim Cone' post='779757' date='14-Jun-2009 05:25']A couple of ideas...
    At the time on the SP install, did you happen to clean out the Windows temp file?
    If you had thousands of files in there, then removing them could make a difference.

Did you change any settings in your anti-virus program.
    Norton was/is famous for slowing down Excel with its office scan.
    '--
    Jim Cone
    Portland, Oregon USA[/quote]