Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    The previous topic reminded me of this fault that I have been meaning to question....

AFAIK, the calculation setting is excel specific, (to the user), not workbook specific? (Maybe this has changed in XL2007?)

What can cause a specific users setting to switch from automatic to manual unintentionally? I have come accross several users recently experiencing the same problem, where they have not switched the setting intentionally, but find that the setting has been set to manual.

Added: BTW, we do use a few wb's that use a toggle calculation button, due to the wb's being too sluggish on automatic. But users other than the ones who use these wb's have experienced the same issue.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    The calc setting is a WORKBOOK setting.
    But.

Excel sets the calculation mode when the first new workbook is opened in a session. For all workbooks. If you subsequently save, I *think* all workbooks are saved with calc set to the setting of the first one.

So if you experience Excel going into manual calc mode, there will be one workbook (or more) with calc set to manual.
    Open all suspect files, then set calc back to automatic and save all of them.
    Jan Karel Pieterse
    Microsoft Excel MVP, WMVP
    www.jkp-ads.com
    Professional Office Developers Association

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Aha, I always thought that the setting was excel specific, thanks for clearing that up!

There are a few wb's that I suspect will cause the problem. I'm thinking that it may be worth adding code to the save/close events to reset to automatic.

Thanks.