Thanks
    How to create a Check Duplicate Macro?

tblProperty contains the following fields
    PropertyID (autonum)
    BldgID
    Block
    Floor
    Flat

I would like to make sure the combination of BldgID, Block, Floor, Flat won't be duplicated.
    In the Property Sheet of formProperty, I attach ChkDuplicate macro to the Before Update event.
    How to write such macro?
    If an existing record is found identical to the newly entered textboxes (controls)--BldgID, Block, Floor, and Flat, how can I stop adding the new record into the table? The entire Action Macros list don't the command to abort the record update.

Armstrong

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    I'd create an index in tblProperty on the combination of those fields, and set the Unique property of the index to Yes. That way, Access will not allow the user to create a duplicate combination in the table itself or in any query or form based on the table, without needing a macro or VBA code.

BTW, the macro action to cancel an event is, surprisingly, CancelEvent.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='HansV' post='779773' date='14-Jun-2009 19:37']I'd create an index in tblProperty on the combination of those fields, and set the Unique property of the index to Yes. That way, Access will not allow the user to create a duplicate combination in the table itself or in any query or form based on the table, without needing a macro or VBA code.

BTW, the macro action to cancel an event is, surprisingly, CancelEvent.[/quote]

Thanks for your help. How to create an index of combined fields? Is it possible in Access?
    For Cancel Event, does it also cancel (abort) the record update?
    Armstrong

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='armsys' post='779832' date='15-Jun-2009 10:08']Thanks for your help. How to create an index of combined fields? Is it possible in Access?
    For Cancel Event, does it also cancel (abort) the record update?
    Armstrong[/quote]
    I found the solution for creating multiple-field index. In the Design View, Table Tools > Design > Indexes.
    At least it helps eliminate huge efforts in macro coding.
    HansV, thanks for pointing out the possibility.

Armstrong

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='armsys' post='779832' date='15-Jun-2009 04:08']For Cancel Event, does it also cancel (abort) the record update?[/quote]
    If you use the Cancel Event action in a macro that is called in the Before Update event of a form, the record will not be updated.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='HansV' post='779841' date='15-Jun-2009 13:50']If you use the Cancel Event action in a macro that is called in the Before Update event of a form, the record will not be updated.[/quote]
    Thank you.
    Armstrong