Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    ... and get one if'n ya don't...

Flag Day (United States)

Thanks
    [quote name='Bigaldoc' post='779777' date='14-Jun-2009 22:22']... and get one if'n ya don't...

Flag Day (United States)

[/quote]

I display my stars and stripes twenty-four-seven from a forty five foot flag pole in my front yard and keep it well illuminated at night.

For me and others like me is has a special meaning to see it up there every day.

I have heard that our government has enacted a law stating that as of of certain date that all USA flags purchased in this country must be manufactured in this country.

I hope something like that does not go the same way "In God We Trust" is going.
    Catz

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='pauliez' post='779791' date='15-Jun-2009 03:06']I display my stars and stripes twenty-four-seven from a forty five foot flag pole in my front yard and keep it well illuminated at night.

For me and others like me is has a special meaning to see it up there every day.

I have heard that our government has enacted a law stating that as of of certain date that all USA flags purchased in this country must be manufactured in this country.

I hope something like that does not go the same way "In God We Trust" is going.[/quote]
    Am I missing something?
    I can see why you (generic) fly the flag on special days or on public buildings, but I have never understood why people fly the flag all the time at their own place.
    I guess I don't understand what it is that you are trying to say.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='johbot' post='780399' date='17-Jun-2009 19:44']... I have never understood why people fly the flag all the time at their own place.[/quote]
    I don't display the regular flag except on special days BUT I have a rather large USA flag decal on the inside of my front (glass) storm door, ever since 9/11...

It has been my observation that many, many more people have been "flying" an outdoor flag ever since that horrific time.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='Bigaldoc' post='780401' date='18-Jun-2009 09:54']It has been my observation that many, many more people have been "flying" an outdoor flag ever since that horrific time.[/quote]

Hi Al,

Yes that has been my observation as well.

Are people who fly the flag saying "I belong here"? What scares me is that by implication they are saying that if I don't fly the flag that I don't belong. I hope that is not the case and that's why I say that I don't understand.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='johbot' post='780404' date='18-Jun-2009 01:07']Hi Al,

Yes that has been my observation as well.

Are people who fly the flag saying "I belong here"? What scares me is that by implication they are saying that if I don't fly the flag that I don't belong. I hope that is not the case and that's why I say that I don't understand.[/quote]

Hi Jo

I fly the cross of St. George all of the time because I am proud to be English, I fly the Union flag on the Queens Birthday (both of them) because I also proud to be British. I am not xenophobic (although I do sometimes feel sorry for people not born here :-) ) and have travelled extensively for business and pleasure and I love to see people being patrotic in their Countries by flying their own National flags.
    Cheers

Steve

Asking the questions everbody wants the answers too but feels too stupid to ask themselves :-)

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='johbot' post='780404' date='17-Jun-2009 20:07']Are people who fly the flag saying "I belong here"?[/quote]
    Well yes, I guess you could say that. Like Steve, I've always been proud to be an American and I used to hang out a flag on special days. But after 9/11 I think most of us are "saying" silently with our flag displays to the terrorists of the world: "...we won't go down..."

On the leather jackets of some of my veteran friends, many of whom gather in MC clubs, are patches that say what I just tried to say in language not suitable for The Lounge ... I too digress...

Thanks
    [quote name='johbot' post='780404' date='17-Jun-2009 20:07']Are people who fly the flag saying "I belong here"? What scares me is that by implication they are saying that if I don't fly the flag that I don't belong. I hope that is not the case and that's why I say that I don't understand.[/quote]
    I think that flying the flag, either on special days or every day, is a symbol of UNITY and support for one's country. It says that we stand up for all that our particular country means to us. ( this applies to whatever country you live in, not just the U.S. ) It seems to be more obvious since 9/11, which brought out a flood of flags all over America.

I also think that seeing and flying the flag has a very deep meaning for any person who has served in that country's military. War or Peace time.

If a person chooses not to fly the flag, I certainly don't have any negative feeling toward them. It's just their choice.[attachment=84343:salute.gif]
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!