Thanks
    Cool add-in:
    ==================
    Sender's Time Zone for Microsoft® Outlook®

Does it often happen to you that you receive an Outlook message, click the Reply button and are stuck with the very first phrase? Shall it be "Good morning", "Good day" or "Good afternoon"? Shall the message be replied immediately, or can it wait for a couple of hours since it is deep night for the sender and he or she is sleeping like one o'clock. Did you ever think how nice it would be to have a tool to swiftly calculate the current time in the sender's time zone and show you the local time stamp of the message sender? The same idea flashed across our mind as well. We built such a plug-in that makes easy work of dealing with recipients in multiple time zones - no more calculating times in your head. Once you open a message in Outlook, the plug-in shows the local time of the sender, difference from your time zone as well as the time since the message was sent.

http://www.ablebits.com/outlook-sender-timezone/

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='ibe98765' post='779837' date='15-Jun-2009 04:36']Cool add-in:
    ==================
    Sender's Time Zone for Microsoft® Outlook®[/quote]Agree, a useful tool - with one caveat. It doesn't display the sender's time zone, it displays the time zone on the sender's PC. For example my boss was in Asia last week, it doesn't show the local time zone when/where the message were sent - but the time on his PC. Doubt that actual sending time can be captured/displayed - but users should be aware of this.

Thanks

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='Bowlie' post='779852' date='15-Jun-2009 09:33']Agree, a useful tool - with one caveat. It doesn't display the sender's time zone, it displays the time zone on the sender's PC. For example my boss was in Asia last week, it doesn't show the local time zone when/where the message were sent - but the time on his PC. Doubt that actual sending time can be captured/displayed - but users should be aware of this.

Thanks [/quote]

I agree that this is a VERY useful add-on, but it behaves most strangely on my Microsoft Exchange server based account. When I send my colleague an email it says that my timezone is one hour earlier than hers. Similarly when she sends me an email it says that her timezoze is one hour earlier than mine!

Looking in the email headers I can see that the Exchange server has inserted the time as
    13:14:24 +0000
    which at least explains the discrepancy as this email was sent at 14:14 here in the UK, and we are currently on summer time which is UTC+1. I take it this is an issue with the time on the Exchange Server, but who knows!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    [quote name='StuartR' post='779877' date='15-Jun-2009 09:00']Looking in the email headers I can see that the Exchange server has inserted the time as
    13:14:24 +0000
    which at least explains the discrepancy as this email was sent at 14:14 here in the UK, and we are currently on summer time which is UTC+1. I take it this is an issue with the time on the Exchange Server, but who knows![/quote]

Do the server & Exchange have all the Microsoft time zone updates installed?

Joe
    Joe

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='joeperez' post='779884' date='15-Jun-2009 15:38']Do the server & Exchange have all the Microsoft time zone updates installed?

Joe[/quote]
    I have no access to the Exchange Server, except via Outlook. The server is on another continent!

Administrator
    Thanks
    [quote name='StuartR' post='779887' date='15-Jun-2009 09:45']I have no access to the Exchange Server, except via Outlook. The server is on another continent![/quote]

Maybe the crack support team could check that out.

Joe
    Joe

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='joeperez' post='779900' date='15-Jun-2009 16:08']Maybe the crack support team could check that out.

Joe[/quote]

A bit more investigation shows that every employee in our entire international organization is apparently at the same time zone. It looks like the exchange servers just put a UTC time in the header of the emails.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='joeperez' post='779884' date='15-Jun-2009 08:38'][/quote]
    Joe, I thought that MS Outlook/Exchange stamped ALL messages with the UTC time, and then let the local PC figure out the time display on each local machine from the local-to-UTC offset. Since you have server skills, could you check that out?
    -John ... I float in liquid gardens
    UTC -7±DS

Administrator
    Thanks
    [quote name='JohnBF' post='780077' date='16-Jun-2009 09:27']Joe, I thought that MS Outlook/Exchange stamped ALL messages with the UTC time, and then let the local PC figure out the time display on each local machine from the local-to-UTC offset. Since you have server skills, could you check that out?[/quote]

John,

You are correct. However if the server does not have the time zone updates it may be that its time is incorrect.

Joe
    Joe

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks everyone, so it looks like this addon is of limited use in dealing with corporate email.

Pity.