Thread: Security

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    To correct a problem I was having with Yahoo email in a live chat with support he had me go to "Tools" "Internet Options" "Advanced" and under Browsing I unchecked "Enable third-party Internet browser extensions" and under Security I had to check "Allow Active content to run files on My Computer" Though this corrected the problem with Yahoo email I'm concerned what it did as far as security issues are concerned on my computer and what disabling "Enable third-party Internet browser extensions" did. When I questioned him he had no good answers only assured me I was still protected.

Should I be concerned about having to change these settings?

Thanks
    H Lewton

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='hlewton' post='779899' date='15-Jun-2009 17:07']To correct a problem I was having with Yahoo email in a live chat with support he had me go to "Tools" "Internet Options" "Advanced" and under Browsing I unchecked "Enable third-party Internet browser extensions" and under Security I had to check "Allow Active content to run files on My Computer" Though this corrected the problem with Yahoo email I'm concerned what it did as far as security issues are concerned on my computer and what disabling "Enable third-party Internet browser extensions" did. When I questioned him he had no good answers only assured me I was still protected.

Should I be concerned about having to change these settings?

Thanks[/quote]
    Clearing the "Enable third-party Internet browser extensions" check box means that add-ins such as the Google toolbar won't work any more.
    Add-ins are among the most common causes of problems with Internet Explorer, so it's a good idea to run IE at least temporairily without add-ins.
    This does not compromise security, if anything it makes your browser more secure (but with fewer features).

Ticking "Allow active content to run in files on My Computer" does decrease security somewhat, but many websites won't run correctly without it. As long as your security software (firewall, anti-virus, anti-spyware) is active and up-to-date, you shouldn't have a problem.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='HansV' post='779904' date='15-Jun-2009 11:22']Clearing the "Enable third-party Internet browser extensions" check box means that add-ins such as the Google toolbar won't work any more.
    Add-ins are among the most common causes of problems with Internet Explorer, so it's a good idea to run IE at least temporairily without add-ins.
    This does not compromise security, if anything it makes your browser more secure (but with fewer features).

Ticking "Allow active content to run in files on My Computer" does decrease security somewhat, but many websites won't run correctly without it. As long as your security software (firewall, anti-virus, anti-spyware) is active and up-to-date, you shouldn't have a problem.[/quote]Thank you. That makes me feel better.
    H Lewton

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    [quote name='hlewton' post='779899' date='15-Jun-2009 10:07']To correct a problem I was having with Yahoo email in a live chat with support he had me go to "Tools" "Internet Options" "Advanced" and under Browsing I unchecked "Enable third-party Internet browser extensions" and under Security I had to check "Allow Active content to run files on My Computer"[/quote]

On all the systems for which I'm responsible, "Allow active content..." is NOT checked. The only effect I see is that you get the information bar in IE asking if you want to enable the Active content.

Disabling all third part addons is the easy way to check if an addon is the problem. You'll probably want to re-enable them then use Tools | Manage Addons to disable them systematically to try to identify the culprit.

NOTE: Toolbars are notorious for causing problems. If you have any third party toolbars you should make sure you have the most current version.

Joe
    Joe

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='joeperez' post='779906' date='15-Jun-2009 11:30']On all the systems for which I'm responsible, "Allow active content..." is NOT checked. The only effect I see is that you get the information bar in IE asking if you want to enable the Active content.

Disabling all third part addons is the easy way to check if an addon is the problem. You'll probably want to re-enable them then use Tools | Manage Addons to disable them systematically to try to identify the culprit.

NOTE: Toolbars are notorious for causing problems. If you have any third party toolbars you should make sure you have the most current version.

Joe[/quote]Thank you for the information and since my last posting it seems the cure that the technician had me do to correct the yahoo problem is no longer working so I will change it back.

Thanks
    H Lewton