New Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm a novice at best at using Access and I need some help. I have a database that I want to post in a Lotus Notes TeamRoom (much like a forum or message board). I need to restrict access to about 4 people who will have full control, the rest of the people can read only. Any suggestions on how I could do this? Can you password protect it like in Excel? Any help you could give would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Welcome to the Lounge!

Which version of Access are you using? Access 2003 and before have a robust user-level security system, but this has been depreciated in Access 2007. So if you're using Access 2007 or are planning to upgrade to Access 2007, it is not a good idea to use this feature.

I don't have any experience with Lotus Notes TeamRoom, but an Access database will probably not work there without problems. Access databases are intended to be used on a local hard disk or across a network, not on an internet-like site.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='HansV' post='779967' date='15-Jun-2009 17:06']Welcome to the Lounge!

Which version of Access are you using? Access 2003 and before have a robust user-level security system, but this has been depreciated in Access 2007. So if you're using Access 2007 or are planning to upgrade to Access 2007, it is not a good idea to use this feature.

I don't have any experience with Lotus Notes TeamRoom, but an Access database will probably not work there without problems. Access databases are intended to be used on a local hard disk or across a network, not on an internet-like site.[/quote]

Thank you. Sorry, I should have clarified that I am using Access 2003. I can get the user access control to work on my local drive, by creating a shortcut, which then prompts for a login id and password before opening the DB, but when I try this on the shared directory it won't work. I get a massage stating that I do not have priveledges to access this database, with no option to login.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    What is the target of the shortcut you're using (the one that fails, I mean)?

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    [quote name='Jfred' post='780076' date='16-Jun-2009 08:25']Thank you. Sorry, I should have clarified that I am using Access 2003. I can get the user access control to work on my local drive, by creating a shortcut, which then prompts for a login id and password before opening the DB, but when I try this on the shared directory it won't work. I get a massage stating that I do not have priveledges to access this database, with no option to login.[/quote]
    If you used the Workgroup Manager to set the path to your System.mdw (or you gave Admin a password using your default workgroup file), then you should get a login prompt for the first database you open in any instance of Access. Since you don't get that, Access thinks you do not have file permissions to open a database at the path where you are trying to on the shared directory. You must have at a minimum Read permissions, and if you want to update information in the database, you should have full control - those are file security settings that I'm referring to. And like Hans, I would be very dubious that an Access database would work in Lotus Notes TeamRoom.

A brief description of your Access database and it's function could help us suggest some alternatives.
    Wendell