Thread: Access crashing

5 Star Lounger
    Patterson Lakes, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
    Thanks
    Using Office 2003 SP3 on Vista Home Premium
    I have a form that has been working beautifully for about 10 years. Suddenly it is acting up. If I change the code behind the form in any way, and try to save the form Access crashes.
    I tried to re-create the form from scratch, but when I try to save this new form Access crashes.
    I rebuilt the database (which is a front end) and imported all the tables, forms, reports, macros & code and manually recreated all the relationships. All to no avail the Problem persisted.
    I think I have found the culprit. I created a new form and put a combo on it. I then set the Table/Quey for the combo to the same query (‘SortedContacts’) on the problem form. Saving this crashed Access.
    However I can open the query without any problems.
    In another database that is also linked to the same backend tables, I repeated the above: ie new form new combo linked to an identical query – Access crashed.
    Frequently, before the crashes, the hour glass symbol comes up and stays there until I try to close Access. At which point Access crashes. Task Manage shows that the 2 CPUs usages varying between 30% and 80% for this whole period, with no other applications loaded. After the Access crash CPU usage goes down to between 0 – 10%.
    At one point Access didn’t crash but gave the message “There isn’t enough memory to perform this operation. Close unneeded programs and try the operation again.” and refused to save the form. Windows task manager showed that only 40% of physical memory was being used.
    I have done a ‘Detect & Repair’ on office, but it made no difference.
    Unless someone at Woodys can come up with another solution, my next step is to remove and re-install Office. But I would lose all my settings, and I really want to avoid that.
    Regards,
    Peter

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Have you tried decompiling the database, then compiling the code and performing a compact and repair?

For info about decompiling, see the topic Error when opening database (2003).

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have similar problems with a database that is under constant development and changes. One thing I discovered is that Access 2003 really doesn't like textboxes without labels. Even if I don't want them, I now tend to leave labels associated with their textboxes and just set their visible property to No.

As well as rebuilding the database by importing everything, if you know the object that is creating the problem, import everything but that object and then, if you have it, import that object from a saved previous version of the database from happier times if you have one. I number all the versions of this particular database for just such an occasion.

Lots of compact and repairs and decompiling as Hans suggests are also in order.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Try downloading the Hot Fixes referred to in this thread.

Post 735705
    Regards
    John

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I had decompiled several times - all to no avail. However the hotfix that you recommended to someone else that John refered me to below worked. I'm saved.
    Thanks Hans
    Regards,
    Peter

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for that Peter. I hadn't heard of Access dislike for textbox labels.
    I had already carried out your second suggestion in a more streamline way. Didn't work
    But all fixed now - using a hot fix posted by Hans and pointed to by John.
    Regards,
    Peter

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The December hotfix worked! How on earth did you know that?
    The cold Macedon air must promote deep thinking.
    Thanks John.
    Regards,
    Peter

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    [quote name='Peter Kinross' post='780237' date='17-Jun-2009 17:02']The December hotfix worked! How on earth did you know that?[/quote]

The only reason I knew was that I used to have the same problem,and the Hotfix cured it for me.
    No deep thinking involved... and it is not even cold up here today.
    Regards
    John