jncline

Outlook Distribution Lists (2000)

If I receive an email that has been sent to a long list of people, what is the easiest way to recreate this list as a new Distribution List in my Outlook Contacts? I have never found an easy way to add or import a whole list of people and then name it as a Distribution List?
    Thanks,
    Jody

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Outlook Distribution Lists (2000)

This works for me in corporate/Exchange mode.
    1. Open the email and copy the To list. Do this by left clicking at the start of the list, moving to the end of the list and do shift +left click. This selects all the names. Copy either by right clicking andusing Copy or Ctrl+C
    2. Go into the Contacts folder and click on the drop down arrow next to the New icon. Select Distribution List.
    3. Click on the Select Members button of the new dist list dialogue and then left click in the right hand Add to Distribution List[/i] side to set the insertion pointer. Paste in the copied names using Ctrl+V.
    4. OK this and Outlook will start checking the names. When all names are resolved, give the dist list a name and OK.
    HTH
    Silverback

jncline

Thanks for the suggestion, the problem is that many of the names do not resolve. Only the ones in either our global address book or in my contacts resolve. I think this is because when I do the copy and paste, the "properties" of the address are lost. Maybe I need to add each name to my contacts first? Any advice?
    Jody

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Yes - the unresolved names will be those which are not in your company (and so in the GAL) or known to you (and so in your Contacts folder).
    I don't advise adding everyone to your contacts before you start - you can end up with lots of duplicates.
    Follow my suggested process until you are getting Outlook to resolve the names. When the Check Names dialogue displays the first unresolved name with No suggestions, Cancel the dialogue. Then click OK again; Outlook will again try and resolve the names and will stop with the Check Names dialogue on the same name and No Suggestions again. Cancel this dialogue.
    Now, on my system, this results in all the unresolved names being collateed together at the end of the list of names you pasted into the Add to distribution list field. This makes it easy to select all the unresolved names and cut them from the list which allows you to finish building the dist list. Paste the cut names into a scrap word/text document to give you a list of the names which have to be created in your contacts folder.
    Using both windows, use the document list to help you go through the To list of names in the email and right click and Add to Contacts for the required people.
    When this is complete, open the dist list and click Select Members. Change the Show names from the field to be Contacts and add the newly created names.
    Messy!
    Silverback