Lounger
    Thanks
    I have learned I can email HTML files from Word (it took a while for the this old guy). But how do I code it so that it will not be accused of phishing when someone reads it in Windows Mail (I haven't tried an "Outlook Express" test, yet.)? I built the HTML file in CoffeeCup. Then edited in Word and sent the test. Attached is the file.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thanks
    [quote name='jshaw42' post='780049' date='16-Jun-2009 05:24']I have learned I can email HTML files from Word (it took a while for the this old guy). But how do I code it so that it will not be accused of phishing when someone reads it in Windows Mail (I haven't tried an "Outlook Express" test, yet.)?[/quote]
    Microsoft may not have published a detailed explanation of how its anti-phishing detection works. (A quick search didn't turn up anything useful.) It's possible that it compares the link destination with link text or even the source email address, but it also might be analyzing the content.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    [quote name='jshaw42' post='780049' date='16-Jun-2009 07:24']I have learned I can email HTML files from Word (it took a while for the this old guy). But how do I code it so that it will not be accused of phishing when someone reads it in Windows Mail (I haven't tried an "Outlook Express" test, yet.)? I built the HTML file in CoffeeCup. Then edited in Word and sent the test. Attached is the file.[/quote]

Windows Mail blocks attachments which might contain code that could be executed on opening them (such as HTML). You'd be better off compressing the file as a ZIP file or changing it to a TXT file.

If the recipient is able to control the Windows Mail options see How to Open Blocked Attachments in Windows Mail or Outlook Express - About Email. WARNING: that may be a very dangerous thing to do.

Joe
    Joe

Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='joeperez' post='780145' date='16-Jun-2009 13:52']Windows Mail blocks attachments which might contain code that could be executed on opening them (such as HTML). You'd be better off compressing the file as a ZIP file or changing it to a TXT file.

If the recipient is able to control the Windows Mail options see How to Open Blocked Attachments in Windows Mail or Outlook Express - About Email. WARNING: that may be a very dangerous thing to do.

Joe[/quote]
    Compressing as a zip file or text would defeat the purpose. Surely there is a way to verify the validity of an email source.

Administrator
    Thanks
    [quote name='jshaw42' post='780179' date='16-Jun-2009 17:03']Compressing as a zip file or text would defeat the purpose. Surely there is a way to verify the validity of an email source.[/quote]

It is not a matter of verifying validity. Windows Mail just won't let you control the file types that are blocked. A substantial part of infections in a company happen when one PC is infected then passes it along to others inside the corporate firewall. That would be a valid e-mail source in most scenarios.

Since you have not yet said, what is the purpose?

Joe
    Joe

Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='joeperez' post='780204' date='16-Jun-2009 19:34']Since you have not yet said, what is the purpose?

Joe[/quote]I thought perhaps the file included in the original message of this thread would have explained that. It is promotional piece that I want to send to potential buyers of fertilizer. I would like to make it a regularly scheduled mailing.

Administrator
    Thanks
    [quote name='jshaw42' post='780351' date='17-Jun-2009 14:05']I thought perhaps the file included in the original message of this thread would have explained that. It is promotional piece that I want to send to potential buyers of fertilizer. I would like to make it a regularly scheduled mailing.[/quote]

Maybe I misunderstood your intent. Is the file sent as an attachment or is it the body of the email?

Joe
    Joe

Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='joeperez' post='780369' date='17-Jun-2009 15:17']Maybe I misunderstood your intent. Is the file sent as an attachment or is it the body of the email?

Joe[/quote]
    I would like to send it as the body of the email much like myriad others I receive from legitimate vendors seeking my business.

Administrator
    Thanks
    [quote name='jshaw42' post='780479' date='18-Jun-2009 08:12']I would like to send it as the body of the email much like myriad others I receive from legitimate vendors seeking my business.[/quote]

Sorry I misunderstood what you were trying to do.

As Jefferson said earlier, Microsoft does not publish their methodology or algorithms for determining what is good and bad e-mail. Nor will any other mail clients or classification products other than open source. Even then it would most likely be pretty difficult to figure out what is going on from source code.

You should just be careful in your choice of words and phrases. You can encourage your recipients to add your email address to their whitelist or trusted senders.

Joe
    Joe

Thanks
    [quote name='jshaw42' post='780049' date='16-Jun-2009 05:24']I built the HTML file in CoffeeCup. Then edited in Word and sent the test.[/quote]
    If you finalize the HTML in CoffeeCup, you have some other options for creating an HTML message. One is to drop the HTML file into a convenient location to use it as stationery (or as a basis for new Outlook stationery). Another is to use Insert > File, selecting your HTML file, and then dropping down the Insert button to use Insert As Text (which embeds the HTML into the message). For the latter option, any style tags in the <head> section are lost, so you need to place them in the <body> instead.

Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='jscher2000' post='780540' date='18-Jun-2009 14:56']If you finalize the HTML in CoffeeCup, you have some other options for creating an HTML message. One is to drop the HTML file into a convenient location to use it as stationery (or as a basis for new Outlook stationery). Another is to use Insert > File, selecting your HTML file, and then dropping down the Insert button to use Insert As Text (which embeds the HTML into the message). For the latter option, any style tags in the <head> section are lost, so you need to place them in the <body> instead.[/quote]
    Thanks a bunch. I will give it a try.

Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='jshaw42' post='780568' date='18-Jun-2009 17:15']Thanks a bunch. I will give it a try.[/quote]
    Well, I tried it and it worked. Thanks a million.