Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    (Moderator please move if inappropriate here)
    I spent a pleasant hour this morning updating my Password & WhoIs records through my Domain Registration supplier, who is (!) different from my web hosting service.
    I get confused easily. There are user names and passwords all over the place. To make it worse there are dumb and dumber web sites that when you type in www.chrisgreaves.com, tell you "remove the www from the front of your domain". So take it off yourself already! If you are smart enough to recognize a "www.", you ought to be smart enough to drop it.

But I digress.
    I do the credit-card thingo and get a pop-up screen that says "A receipt will be sent to the following address", and lists the email address of the guy who set all this up 4 years ago.
    The email address that I've just spent an hour (passwords, WhoIs records etc.) changing.

I thought for an instant "Oh, the data base hasn't caught up yet, that's all", then realized that can't be so because I had re-entered the supplier site and confirmed all the changes, which must have come from the (updated) WhoIs database.

So I phoned the 1-888 number.

Yup. The helpful Domain Registration Supplier accesses TWO databases - the public WhoIs database (which I have updated), and their own internal accounting database, which does NOT draw its data from WhoIs, but must be maintained and updated manually by in-house staff.

And the nice man agrees with me - there is no mention of this on their site ("If you change your details here, please let our Billing Department know ..."), and that, had I not read that little pop-up, they would have continued issuing notices and alerts from the billing department to Essae, wherever in the world he is nowadays.

So be alert. Some suppliers maintain one or more internal databases, and {a} unless you ask you won't know and {b} updating your records does not mean that they are updating theirs.

(signed) "Frustrated" of Toronto.

Thanks
    [quote name='chrisgreaves' post='780067' date='16-Jun-2009 10:12']So be alert. Some suppliers maintain one or more internal databases, and {a} unless you ask you won't know and {b} updating your records does not mean that they are updating theirs.[/quote]
    Hi Frus~
    I had/have a similar experience with my newspaper subscription ( yes, I still do receive a PAPER news form ) they originally set up my account using my seven digit telephone number, sans area code. I changed my phone number years ago and notified them of the new number. However, if I call for a service request or whatever, they ask for my telephone number. I give them my present number but am then told that they have no such account on record. I have to recall what my OLD number is and they promptly "find" me.
    They seem unable to make such a record change without doing a complete makeover of their database. etc. etc., installing more memory and changing their server to an updated 1995 model. maybe even updating the OS to the new DOS 5.5.
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='viking33' post='780110' date='16-Jun-2009 08:59']They seem unable to make such a record change without doing a complete makeover of their database. etc. etc., installing more memory and changing their server to an updated 1995 model. maybe even updating the OS to the new DOS 5.5.[/quote]
    No need to be mean, there's quite a learning curve when you upgrade from Curta's.
    -John ... I float in liquid gardens
    UTC -7ąDS

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    And a similar example from a reputable bank.

We opened a new account online. All the data fields populated themselves directly from our existing logon and account details. We put some money in the account. Not much because we wanted to see what happened.

They said they would send us paper to confirm the account details.

Four days later, said paper arrives in the mail and my name is spelled incorrectly (yes, I am one of THOSE women who refuse to part with my name - but as Chris said "I digress")

Phone call to complain and get many apologies and a promise to sort it out and reconfirm, again via paper.

5 days later, the receiver of the previous complaint rings and asks why we have not contacted her about the confirmation. What letter? We sent it to PO Box XXX, different town, different state!

So how come - when the original fields online were populated with existing data, that same data was not used in the paper trail for the confirmation process? Seems to me that someone has undertaken some data entry. But why? Silly me expects that these computer thingys were made so that we would only have to say stuff once.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='johbot' post='780403' date='17-Jun-2009 20:00']... Silly me expects that these computer thingys were made so that we would only have to say stuff once.... but as Chris said "I digress"[/quote]

... and here he is!

About ten years ago I had a similar problem with one of the five major banks here in Canada.
    I changed my address.
    I had two accounts.
    They had THREE different data base files for each account.

I should have twigged after the fourth change of address was put through, but sadly by the time I realized that my canceled cheques weren't reaching me, they informed me that they never WERE going to reach me.

I found it deplorable back then that a major bank's database system could not, at least to the operator/clerk, drop a hint that "these other Chris Greaves records might be worth examining while you've got him staring at you across the counter".

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='viking33' post='780110' date='16-Jun-2009 11:59']... maybe even updating the OS to the new DOS 5.5. [/quote]
    Well, while you're waiting you may want to take a week off, drive up here and collect your papers.
    I can hardly get out the door .....

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='JohnBF' post='780398' date='17-Jun-2009 19:44']... when you upgrade from Curta's.[/quote]

"To", surely?