2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Every once in a while as soon as I open Outlook, it picks a random email and wants to save it as a text file. It doesn't matter if I choose save or cancel the window doesn't go away. All I can do is crtl/alt/delete. When I reopen Outlook I don't get the reprimand that I closed Outlook wrong and It has to laboriously check all the .pst s. It acts perfectly normal for another few days and then the cycle starts all over again. I've run all the repair and diagnose Office 2007 things. It always says it can't find anything wrong.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Do you have any add-ins running in Outlook that could cause this? If you do, you could try starting Outlook without add-ins for a while to see if the problem goes away. Either disable them - see Outlook 2007: Disabling/Enabling Add-ins - or start Outlook with the /noextensions switch - see Command-line switches for Microsoft Office Outlook 2007.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='HansV' post='780174' date='16-Jun-2009 22:32']Do you have any add-ins running in Outlook that could cause this? If you do, you could try starting Outlook without add-ins for a while to see if the problem goes away. Either disable them - see Outlook 2007: Disabling/Enabling Add-ins - or start Outlook with the /noextensions switch - see Command-line switches for Microsoft Office Outlook 2007.[/quote]
    Thank you I never thought of that. I can't imagine what the ITunes add-in does. I'll just take them off one at a time every time the save thing comes up and then I will know which one it was.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='hmbterry' post='780177' date='16-Jun-2009 14:47']I can't imagine what the ITunes add-in does.[/quote]
    It synch's Outlook Calendar to iPod Calendar. Shut it off if you don't synch the Calendar.
    -John ... I float in liquid gardens
    UTC -7ąDS

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Well, getting rid of add-ins didn't help. I never had any problems with the Google toolbar but I keep reading how it creates all kinds of problems for other people So I got rid of it. Now I have much bigger problems. I can't open any attachments at all even the most benign ones and I can't click on any links. It says my settings won't allow it and the settings haven't changed. I ran the diagnostic thing and even the repair Office 2007 from the disk. I can live with the saving random email thing, that it still does this over protected deal is unacceptable.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Does your anti-virus program have an e-mail scanning feature? If so, make sure that it is turned off (as long as the runtime protection is on, you'll still be safe).

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I've used nod 32 for years and it's never done that before. The message that comes up says " This operation has been canceled due to restrictions in effect on this computer. Please contact your system administrator." I guess that's you. This all started when I used hijack this to get rid of Google Toolbar. Hijack this told me it couldn't get rid of Google Toolbar but it tried. I then used CCleaner to get rid of google tool bar. I was trying to solve a long ongoing hideous rebooting problem. That is now solved! It would just get stuck in the splash screen with the three moving dots. This is actually a better problem. I tried to fix it by following some very complicated advice that involved downloading Office2007grouppolicyandoctsettings.xls But that seems way over my head and it didn't work anyway, wait, I can now open jpg's! Unless, they are embedded with a link and a thumbnail. I've just started seeing these. Anyway my problem now is that I can open attachments but I can't click on a link

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    I don't understand why you used HijackThis and CCleaner to get rid of Google Toolbar - it can simply and effectively be uninstalled through the Add/Remove Programs control panel.

Which browser are you using? If Internet Explorer, make sure that it is set as your default browser (Tools | Internet Options..., Programs tab)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Because it didn't show up in the add remove programs list. I had uninstalled it a long time ago (probably through the list or it's own uninstall program) but hijack this showed it in the startup group (and nowhere else). my default browser is chrome and I use Firefox for anything that doesn't work on Chrome. also, I tried disabling nod32 but it didn't matter

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    What happens if you temporarily make Firefox or Internet Explorer your default browser?

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hey, it worked!!!!! You are a gentleman and a scholar! One more thing; the envelope no longer appears in the right side of the task bar when I receive new mail. I still get the beep. I tried unchecking the option and restarting and checking it again and restarting.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    I don't know why that wouldn't work. You may have to create a new e-mail profile in the Mail control panel.