Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm creating newspaper ads in Word and decided to use tables. The only thing I have come up against that I cannot get to cooperate is the table height. I need it to be exact but I have several rows and don't want to set each row because the content will vary greatly.

Any clues?

Thank you!

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks
    [quote name='tracburk' post='780190' date='17-Jun-2009 09:33']I'm creating newspaper ads in Word and decided to use tables. The only thing I have come up against that I cannot get to cooperate is the table height. I need it to be exact but I have several rows and don't want to set each row because the content will vary greatly.

Any clues?

Thank you![/quote]
    Hi Tracy,

With Word, it's really and either/or situation. If you want the flexibility of automatically-adjusting row heights, you can't have them fixed.

What might be feasible for you is to allow the row heights to adjust automatically, but set them to the final 'exact' height after the editing is done. This could be done:
    1. by selecting the line autshape, then drawing a vertical line over the table, spanning the range from the top of the cell to its bottom. You'd then use Format|Shape|Size to get it's height, delete the shape and set the cell height to that value; or
    2. with a macro, but that isn't straightforward because Word won't tell you what the current height is for a cell whose properties aren't already set to 'exact'. So you'd have to work it out by getting the relative vertical position of the first and last characters in each cell, then adding an appropriate amount of padding to allow for the font height and whatever border spacing you require ontop of that.
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I don't know of a way to define the table size without controlling the individual rows themselves so we need to get creative to solve this. I guess the big question is what do you want to happen to the text to ensure that the table size matches your specifications - enlarge/shrink content or cut it off. Macropod's suggestion of using macros may also be workable but will require some fancy coding to achieve your aims.

For solutions that don't rely on code perhaps you could use a single row table and use paragraph borders to make it look like there are multiple rows inside the table. Another possibility is to place the table inside a text box and fix the size of the text box.
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, I thought it would be pretty ugly.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I think I'm going to try nesting the table inside of a 1 cell table with the exacts set...hmmmm