Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    5 Star Lounger
    Patterson Lakes, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
    Thanks
    I'm having a bad day. I cleaned the registry with jvPowerTools2009 to try to fix another problem (fixed now thanks the gurus on Woody's). But now my Dbs can't access jpg pics. I get the error "..xyz db doesn't support the format of the file .....jpg, or the file is too large. Try converting the file to BMP or GIF format".
    The jpg files aren't too large (only approx 40k) as I have been using them for years.
    How do I get out of this one?
    Regards,
    Peter

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Are you using an Image control or an OLE control (bound or unbound) to display the pictures?

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Peter,
    Have you tried Folder Options > File Types to see if the jpg extension definition is missing or misrepresenting.
    Which version of Access are you running?
    Armstrong

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='HansV' post='780259' date='17-Jun-2009 18:02']Are you using an Image control or an OLE control (bound or unbound) to display the pictures?[/quote]
    Hi Hans.
    Image control; unbound.
    There are 2 image controls on the form. One is permanently linked to a jpg. The other links to various jpgs as called by the OnCurrent event. Neither are working. I haven't changed the code in ages.

I am using Access 2003 SP3 on Vista Home Premium.
    The same Db works flawlessly on other computers - so something has gone awry on this one.
    Double clicking on jpgs brings them up in IrfanView - so .jpg extension works elsewhere.
    Regards,
    Peter

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Unlike OLE controls, Image controls don't need an Automation server to display images, so it seems most likely that the graphics filter for .jpg files has been deleted or damaged. Try Help | Detect and Repair from within Access.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='HansV' post='780317' date='18-Jun-2009 01:57']so it seems most likely that the graphics filter for .jpg files has been deleted or damaged. Try Help | Detect and Repair from within Access.[/quote]
    Alas, I had tried that. Just in case, I tried it again but to no avail.
    The error is definitely jpg specific: I created a new form and linked a jpg to an image control - didn't work. I converted that jpg to a bmp and linked that - it worked.
    This has become extremely frustrating as the form I work with most of all has a pic for most records - causing an error with every record I go to. An almost identical form in another Db on this computer working from the same data has the same errors. The same Dbs on other computers do not have the errors.
    I looked at the MS link that Armsys provided - but it just suggested to change to pic format which isn't acceptable.
    HELP!
    Regards,
    Peter

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    You could take a look at the registry:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Shared Tools\Graphics Filters\Import

and see if the JPEG subkey is missing or less complete than for example the BMP subkey. The same for

HKEY_LOCAL MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Shared Tools\Graphics Filters\Import

If that doesn't help, you may have to reinstall Office and/or Windows on this PC.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Peter,

JV16Power has a built-in automatic backup feature.
    Press Ctrl+B and restore whatever commands you have inadvertently executed.

Armstrong

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='HansV' post='780435' date='18-Jun-2009 15:50']You could take a look at the registry:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Shared Tools\Graphics Filters\Import

and see if the JPEG subkey is missing or less complete than for example the BMP subkey. The same for

HKEY_LOCAL MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Shared Tools\Graphics Filters\Import

If that doesn't help, you may have to reinstall Office and/or Windows on this PC.[/quote]

Thanks Hans, good idea. Unfortunately no dice. I'm still right royally stuffed.

Thanks Armstrong. I had already tried that - also to no avail.

Still open to any ideas - re-installing Office with all my settings and my Access addons, is not my idea of fun. And re-installing Windows is my definition of 4 full days of purgatory.
    In the back of my mind I think I can recall that there is an MS app that stores ones settings for office. Anybody know how?
    Regards,
    Peter

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='Peter Kinross' post='780443' date='18-Jun-2009 14:49']Thanks Hans, good idea. Unfortunately no dice. I'm still right royally stuffed.

Thanks Armstrong. I had already tried that - also to no avail.

Still open to any ideas - re-installing Office with all my settings and my Access addons, is not my idea of fun. And re-installing Windows is my definition of 4 full days of purgatory.
    In the back of my mind I think I can recall that there is an MS app that stores ones settings for office. Anybody know how?[/quote]
    Hi Peter,
    No, don't try reinstalling Office lightly. 99% uninstalling and reinstalling of Office products are unnecessary. Have you tried Repair?
    Armstrong

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Peter,
    Do you see any additional error message such as "run time error" and 2114...?
    Armstrong

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='Peter Kinross' post='780443' date='18-Jun-2009 08:49']In the back of my mind I think I can recall that there is an MS app that stores ones settings for office. Anybody know how?[/quote]
    In Start | (All) Programs | Microsoft Office | Microsoft Office Tools there should be an item Microsoft Office 2003 Save My Settings Wizard.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='HansV' post='780449' date='18-Jun-2009 17:32']In Start | (All) Programs | Microsoft Office | Microsoft Office Tools there should be an item Microsoft Office 2003 Save My Settings Wizard.[/quote]
    Thanks Hans. I got it.
    You beauty. (Or as we say in Aus 'you bewdy')

Armstrong - nope no other error messages.
    Regards,
    Peter

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='Peter Kinross' post='780455' date='18-Jun-2009 16:31']Thanks Hans. I got it.
    You beauty. (Or as we say in Aus 'you bewdy')

Armstrong - nope no other error messages.[/quote]
    Peter,
    Glad you've solved the problem.

HansV,
    Thanks a lot. I learn another new trick from you.

Armstrong

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast