Results 1 to 3 of 3
2009-06-17, 14:00 #1
- Join Date
- Dec 2006
- Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am trying to import a list from Excel to outlook. The excel list has names in column B and emails in column A. I need to imported to outlook to create a distribution list which I have to email to someone so they can use it. What is the best way of accomplishing this task?
2009-06-17, 14:22 #2
- Join Date
- Mar 2002
- Thanked 29 Times in 29 Posts
You can't import directly to a distribution list, but you can do the following:
- In Outlook, create a new subfolder of Contacts.
- Activate this folder (this isn't really necessary, but it makes the following steps easier).
- Import your Excel file into this folder (File | Import and Export..., option Import date from another file or program).
- Create a new distribution list.
- Click Select Members...
- Select your new subfolder in the "Show names from" dropdown.
- You can now easily select all contacts (i.e. those you imported) and add them to the distribution list.
- Save and close the distribution list.
2009-06-17, 14:42 #3
- Join Date
- Dec 2000
- Salt Lake City, Utah, USA
- Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
[quote name='Seba' post='780335' date='17-Jun-2009 11:00']I am trying to import a list from Excel to Outlook. The excel list has names in column B and emails in column A. I need to imported to Outlook to create a distribution list which I have to email to someone so they can use it. What is the best way of accomplishing this task?[/quote]
Outlook Dist Lists must be created from existing Contacts. So if you do not want to add the Excel list addresses as new Contacts you need to follow these steps (I'm abbreviating some steps as I did not test this in full):
1. Create a new Contacts Folder, which will be temporary for this purpose
2. Set your Excel import list into three columns, FirstName, LastName, and EmailAddress, then save it as a CSV
3. Import the CSV into the new temporary Contacts Folder, using the File | Import dialog, you may need to use Map Custom Fields dialog
4. Open the main Contacts Folder and select Actions | New Distribution List | Select members, in the upper right corner of the Select Members dialog is the Show Names From dialog, browse to the temporary contacts file in the drop down
5. Select all Contacts in the temporary Contacts Folder, click Add to Distribution List "Members" button, OK, Name your Dist List, OK out
6. If the Dist List is OK, delete the temporary Contacts Folder-John ... I float in liquid gardens