Star Lounger
    Thanks

Access Mail Merge to Word (Office XP)

I have just installed Office XP and am having difficulty with a mail merge to a word document.

I am using a parameter query to generate a list of data (name, address, suburb, city) based on the date the data was entered. I need to create mailing labels from this data. I have done this successfully in Office 97 on numerous occasions.

When I do the same thing in Office XP I seem only to be able to access (excuse the pun) data from a table. I do not get an option to get data from a query. I am running the query, using tools/office links/merge with ms word and then this moves you into the mail merge wizard. I have played around with the data types available, but can't seem to get around the data source not being available.

I can work around it by creating and updating a mailout table using another query prior to mailout but would prefer to be able to use my nice simple parameter query option.

Any ideas??

Thanks...Peter

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Access Mail Merge to Word (Office XP)

We have encountered similar problems with Mail Merge in XP, expecially if your Access database has security active. The problem apparently stems from the change to using OLE DB as the default method for performing merges. We discovered that if you click cancel to the dialog box "Data Link Properties" then the merge goes to completion as long as you are not using a parameter query. However it uses DDE in that case to complete the merge! Very strange.

Are you able to get the merge to complete if you attempt to start it from Word - in some cases we get a dialog box that asks you to "Confirm Data Source" and gives you a choice of OLE DB, DDE or ODBC. Parameter queries don't work with ODBC of course, but if you choose DDE in that case it works OK. For some reason we get that prompt on a system that had Office 2k installed, removed and then Office XP installled. We don't get that prompt on a clean install system.
    Wendell

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Access Mail Merge to Word (Office XP)

Thanks, I will attack the problem from that perspective. In the meantime I have used the label wizard in reports to produce my mailing labels OK. I still need to do mail merge letters based on the parameter (date entered) and (invalid response) so will keep working on it.

Thanks again...Peter