5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    After realizing that my weekly scans were taking way too much memory and were slowing down my computer, I deactivated them and set up my Norton Antivirus to run idle scans, as it used to several months ago. At that time, it used to show that the computer was scanning in the background every time I left my computer idle for more than a few minutes.

However, in these past few weeks, even though Norton has been configured according to the attached image, I have never caught the computer in the act of undergoing an idle scan. A couple of times, I thought that perhaps it was because I didn't wait long enough. But now that i think about it, I have walked in on the computer at times after having left it for 20+ minutes in idle and yet no scan was happening.

Why is this?

REgards,

JMT
    Attached Images Attached Images

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 927 Posts
    [quote name='jmt356' post='780411' date='17-Jun-2009 20:59']Why is this?[/quote]

Looks to me like you got it set to scan weekly.

Joe
    Joe

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Go back to the main Norton AntiVirus window, and click History.
    Select Scan Results from the dropdown.
    You should see many Idle Time Quick Scans. Scroll through the list to see if Norton has performed an Idle Time Full Scan during the lasy week or so.
    Keep in mind that a full scan will take some time to complete - on my PC it takes about an hour.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Apparently, the computer is performing idle scans, and it offered Idle Full System Scan REsults on 6.21.09 and 6.29.09. What confuses me is the fact that, a couple of weeks ago when I had idle scans running, I would catch Norton in the process of scanning my computer whenever I would come back to my computer after leaving it idle for 10 minutes. There would be a little window in the bottom right saying "idle scan performing" that would disappear when I would shake my mouse.

Apparently, Idle Scan is performing without that little window appearing. But I guess that's alright.

Regards,

JMT

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Norton AntiVirus 2009 will start an idle time scan if you haven't used your computer for a while; if you start using your computer again, it'll pause the scan and resume the next time you haven't used your computer for a while.
    The default wait time is 10 minutes, but you can set it to any value from 1 minute to 30 minutes:
    - Open the main Norton AntiVirus window.
    - Click Settings in the Computer section.
    - Click Miscellaneous Settings (near the bottom).
    - Select a value from the "Idle Timeout" dropdown.