Thread: Update Notifier

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Back in a thread about another software product, Post 778578 is a recommendation for Clean Softs Professional Association's Update Notifier which I downloaded and like - it seems very, very up to date.

Until now, anyway. By pure coincidence, this morning I ran it to see what I might need to update and it DIDN'T detect a new version of Irfanview which was pointed out by Joe Perez in Post 780412. Well, I figure it may take time to catch all, so I'll wait and run it again which I usually only do monthly. The Irfanview update has been there for two days and is CLEARLY pointed out on their web site.

Thanks
    [quote name='Bigaldoc' post='780461' date='18-Jun-2009 11:06'][/quote]
    I'm using the Change Detection website to detect changes in a small number of website pages, and possibly this could be used for updates to software, if these were reflected cleanly on a web page.
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='BATcher' post='780467' date='18-Jun-2009 06:24']I'm using the Change Detection website to detect changes in a small number of website pages, and possibly this could be used for updates to software, if these were reflected cleanly on a web page.[/quote]
    Wow, that would be a lot of work, adding an entry manually for all the software sites to be watched. AND, as you point out, it would have to be clear in the TEXT on the site what the new version is. It's not and is very hard to find on many sites.

As we all know, probably none of these type apps is a do-it-all and they all have their shortcomings. For example, I also have a FileHippo product installed which was pointed out by Viking about 1 years ago. It's called Update Checker. In Post 674741 I was counseled by Tony however that that program is watching a list of software that THEY think is relevant. Strangely enough, it does pickup the Irfanview change and a couple of others that Update Notifier doesn't show. Update Notifier clearly says it's watching software installed on MY machine, so I suppose I'll continue to run both once in awhile.

As I somewhat facetiously pointed out in Post 674570 we usually rely on selected other Loungers to let us know when something has been updated.

Thanks
    [quote name='Bigaldoc' post='780469' date='18-Jun-2009 12:08'][/quote]
    I didn't say that Change detection was ideal for all purposes! It does what I want it to do...
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...