Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi all,

I've created a form in Word and everytime I click on the *.dot file the form is opened up as Document1.doc default filename.
    I usually save the document with a more representative filename, close the Document1 file and continue editing.

I really would like to be prompted to Save As... the new document UPON double clicking the *.dot file so I wouldn"t have to face the deletion of Document1 file.

Can anyone direct me how to add a VBA code to the *.dot file to achieve what I want?
    I tried to do so with a macro as well but couldn't figured it out.

I'm using Word2003 running on winXP SP2.

Thanks for any help!

-Tivoli0

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Do you mean that clicking the .dot file actually saves a document as Document1.doc?
    Normally, (double-)clicking a template starts a new document that hasn't been saved to disk yet.
    If the new document is saved automatically, the template probably contains VBA code that does this - look for code in the Document_New event procedure in the template's ThisDocument module, or for a macro named AutoNew in a standard template.
    Or did I misunderstand your description?

Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Hans,

Thanks for replying!

You're right, the Document1 is Being created WITHOUT the saving.

I was able to get the prompt I was seeking. I entered in the filename.dot file the following code and have the first field in it to use the proc on entry:

Sub SaveAsNewFile()

Dim strDocName As String

strDocName = InputBox("Please enter the name " & _
    "of your document.")
    ActiveDocument.SaveAs FileName:=strDocName

End Sub

So all is fine now, but I'm facing another issue now:

In the filename.dot file's header I have specified to insert the filename. Although the filename.dot shows its true filename in the its header, the newly created *.doc document shows "Document1".

How can I have the newly created document to show my assigned filename?

Thanks again, Hans, for your assistance!

-Tivoli0

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    If the new document is created without being saved - as is normal - why would you have to delete a file Document1.doc, as you originally mentioned? I don't understand where Document1.doc comes from.

If you have a Filename field in the header, it will initially display Document1 or something similar. Saving the document will not automatically update the field; you must either update all fields, or print preview the document in order to make the field display the actual filename.
    Post 718738 contains a macro that you can run to update all fields in a document. You could call this from your SaveAsNewFile macro.

BTW the SaveAsNewFile macro could be simplified to

Code:
    Sub SaveAsNewFile()
      Application.Dialogs(wdDialogFileSaveAs).Show
    End Sub

Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Hans,

<< - why would you have to delete a file Document1.doc, as you originally mentioned? I don't understand where Document1.doc comes from. >>

Forget it, I goofed and it was my wrong doing.

Regarding the updating the field, I got it and will follow your suggestions

I appreciate your insights and helpfull assistance, Thanks!

-Tivoli0