Thread: Exclude Command

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I haven't had Word on a PC in a few years, but now that I have it back, I find myself missing a command I used to use.

There was something called Exclude that allowed me to exclude all lines of text in a document that contained a specific string. The document would redisplay and there would be a line of dashes where the excluded text was. And a notation would tell you how many lines had been excluded at that particular spot in the document. Then it would continue to show the text until the next set of excluded line(s).

When the exclusion was complete (it happened almost instantaneously) you were able to delete the excluded text, delete everything but the excluded text, or display all.

I have no clue what version of Word this was in, but I can't seem to find anything like it in MS Word 2007.

Anybody know what I'm talking about?

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks
    [quote name='boweasel' post='780589' date='19-Jun-2009 12:46']I haven't had Word on a PC in a few years, but now that I have it back, I find myself missing a command I used to use.

There was something called Exclude that allowed me to exclude all lines of text in a document that contained a specific string. The document would redisplay and there would be a line of dashes where the excluded text was. And a notation would tell you how many lines had been excluded at that particular spot in the document. Then it would continue to show the text until the next set of excluded line(s).

When the exclusion was complete (it happened almost instantaneously) you were able to delete the excluded text, delete everything but the excluded text, or display all.

I have no clue what version of Word this was in, but I can't seem to find anything like it in MS Word 2007.

Anybody know what I'm talking about?[/quote]
    Hi boweasel,

I suspect you're thinking of change-tracking, which you can toggle on/off via the 'Track Changes' button on the Status Bar. You can change the 'Track Changes' options via the Review Tab on the Ribbon.
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]