Thread: HP Repair

New Lounger
    Thanks

Angry

Help?

I have to send my computer into HP to have them do some work. My wireless finder on my laptop will not work and my router is fine.

Is their any thing I should do to my computer before sending it in for repair? eg. security.

They said they will have to reformat my hard drive. I've already backed up to my MyBook.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Commonsense

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='commonsense' post='780626' date='19-Jun-2009 07:00']Is their any thing I should do to my computer before sending it in for repair? eg. security.[/quote]
    Welcome to Woody's Lounge!

Well, if they've already told you they're gonna reformat, AND you've already made a backup, if you're concerned about "security" you could go ahead and format the drive yourself. At least that would make it impossible for the superficial looker to see any of your data.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='Bigaldoc' post='780629' date='19-Jun-2009 06:08']Welcome to Woody's Lounge!

Well, if they've already told you they're gonna reformat, AND you've already made a backup, if you're concerned about "security" you could go ahead and format the drive yourself. At least that would make it impossible for the superficial looker to see any of your data.[/quote]

I've thought of that, but I don't really have anything important so to speak on my computer. I usually use it for entertainment.

Reformatting myself makes me nervous because I've never done it before. I would imagine I would have to reinstall all of my main programs.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='commonsense' post='780632' date='19-Jun-2009 07:35']... I would imagine I would have to reinstall all of my main programs.[/quote]
    Not really. Why would you want to reinstall anything when HP says THEY'RE going to format the drive? Just send them a machine with a newly formatted but empty drive. But, if you think there's nothing "sensitive" on the drive, don't do anything - just send it on to HP.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you sir.

Will do.

Commonsense

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='commonsense' post='780626' date='19-Jun-2009 12:00']...
    They said they will have to reformat my hard drive. I've already backed up to my MyBook.
    ...[/quote]
    Are you sure that they said that they definitely WILL have to reformat the hard drive?
    Whenever you send in a computer for repair they warn you that they MAY have to reformat, because that is safer than not warning you.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Lots of ordinary jobs, such as installing an operating system, and especially an OEM setup, include formatting as part of the deal. Chances are very good that if they do that you will have the latest bundle of software and drivers to go with the kit. The catch is that you will have to reinstall and update all of your programs (and restore the personal data associated with them). A second catch is that if you have partitions, such as a boot partition that is the same size as a laptop drive so that you can use the image to apply directly to a laptop drive, you will have to repartition the now-single partition drive. If you use your backup to reinstall programs, you risk making a mess of things, and whatever you do, be sure you have a backup of the state of the computer when you get it back from HP, although it should have its Factory Image on a separate partition. In other words, go through the same procedure that you did when it was new to save it to disk, as this time around it may be a different setup.

Thanks
    [quote name='StuartR' post='780704' date='19-Jun-2009 14:55']Are you sure that they said that they definitely WILL have to reformat the hard drive?
    Whenever you send in a computer for repair they warn you that they MAY have to reformat, because that is safer than not warning you.[/quote]

Having dealt with HP for years, and used their repair service on a few occasions I know first hand that they always tell you to back up your hard drive, as they may need to reformat. I always have. on the last repair I sent them they didn't need to reformat, and they didn't.
    If they send you a box to ship the computer to them. Follow the instructions inside and you will be fine. Always back up your hard drive.
    Thanks John
    Teamwork is essential; it gives the enemy other people to shoot at. (Murphy's War Laws #39)